Sign in to follow this  
mckoy

How can I share a hard drive between a mac, vista, and xp?

I run a new web design company and we need to be able to share files between mac, xp, and vista machines. Is this possible, and if so what is the best way to do it? We've tried sharing a workgroup from the Vista drive but with no luck. I've read that you can share a hard drive with the new Airport Extreme Router, but there are mixed reviews. Our building has a wired ethernet network that we use for internet, but we have no control of the network. Please Help!

Well, I love my airport extreme, I've had no problems with it. But, if you're happy with leaving your mac on all the time and not letting it sleep, there's always sharepoints.

I just got my first Mac and I am thinking about this same issue. I think the best solution that will always work is a NAS system (network Attached Storage). There are not cheap but would work. You could also try the USB port on the back of the apple router but you could have some issues based upon other posts. Also time machine will not work yet using this port. I would make sure you get one that is 10/100/1000 speed. I have noticed a number that are only 10/100 connections. LeCie makes ones that looks good but I have not had time to do a lot of research yet. Here is the link.

http://www.lacie.com/us/products/range.htm?id=10007