switcher98223

Video Archive project

I have a project in mind, but having some trouble deciding how to do it and what software I may need. I will try to be brief, but any help is greatly appreciated.

I have many old VHS tapes of family, vacations, etc. I have a Dazzle DV Bridge that transfers VHS content via firewire to my Mac. I have done this using iMovie)08. Each import creates a new event. I can edit the event into a project and have successfully burned DVDs of the project using iDVD. So, one step in the overall project I'm good with, I know how to get events imported and how to edit and make a final project.

My problem is more broad. And I will try to break up some of the elements I need:

1) is there a way of just transferring the raw, unedited event to a DVD for archive? In other words, I want to move the raw footage from the VHS to DVD for archive and storage. I would want to be able to get the footage off the DVD later for possible editing.

2) I would like to catalog the footage that I have for future use. I have looked at the programs iDive and FootTrack, but I don't know if these will work for me. And how the compression might work.

Here is the workflow that I'm imagining, maybe someone can help me make it a reality.

I transfer the raw VHS footage into iMovie (creation of DV footage from Analog), import that into catalog program for tagging and organization into a library that has clips etc., compress the footage for the library to save space on the hard drive, move the uncompress original DV material to a DVD for storage. In the future, I look at the library and find the footage I want for a project, I get the archived DVD and import the footage from there for editing, etc.

Is this possible????

1) is there a way of just transferring the raw, unedited event to a DVD for archive? In other words, I want to move the raw footage from the VHS to DVD for archive and storage. I would want to be able to get the footage off the DVD later for possible editing.

The only way to do that would be with a hardware device. When you bring it into iMovie, it's transcoded on import. You'll need a unit capable of dubbing VHS to DVD or a VCR connected to a DVD recorder.

Hope that helps.

I have (had? don't know where it is) a Dazzle myself. My thought would be that rather than convert the project, just compress and save the clips and burn to DVD as files. Look in the Media folder for the project, the clips are there.

I don't know about the cataloging piece. I'd probably just name them in iMovie (sorry, can't remember if iMovie clips get the file name) or in the Finder before saving. Since they are shown as QT files in my folders, you might even be able to use iTunes for the tagging piece.