stealthboy

Leopard with G4 chips?

I'm sure I am not alone in having an older machine with a G4 chip. Specifically, a Powerbook G4 1.5 GHz, 1 Gig ram. Do you think I would have issues upgrading to Leopard? I know my machine meets the "official" specs, but will it be an overall slower user experience than what I have now with Tiger? I'm just curious if anyone has thoughts on this. For example, are there specific Core Animation things that use newer Intel-based Mac hardware? Just trying to get a feel for whether or not I should rush out to get this on Oct 26.

If your PB will accept 1.5GB of RAM, I would try to max it out. That should give you the best speed improvement in Leopard. As far as Leopard being slower than Tiger: the developer release was, but the may have fixed that in the final release.

I'm sure I am not alone in having an older machine with a G4 chip. Specifically, a Powerbook G4 1.5 GHz, 1 Gig ram. Do you think I would have issues upgrading to Leopard? I know my machine meets the "official" specs, but will it be an overall slower user experience than what I have now with Tiger? I'm just curious if anyone has thoughts on this. For example, are there specific Core Animation things that use newer Intel-based Mac hardware? Just trying to get a feel for whether or not I should rush out to get this on Oct 26.

I also have a 1.5GHz PowerBook G4, I have it maxed out with 2gb of RAM. I've always been impressed with Apple's OS updates, I have a 600MHz G3 iMac running Tiger 10.4.10 with 768mb RAM and a 500MHz G4 Tower that runs it with 832mb RAM just fine.

It has been my experience that the updates usually run fine as long as you meet the minimum requirements. In many cases the updates even run better than the previous one.

roog

I also own a Powerbook, 15", aluminum case, purchased in July of 2004. G4 running at 1.33 GHz and with 1.5 Gigs of ram.

Have the latest version of Tiger 10.4.10. Understand there may be a 'final' update to 10.4.11 at around the same time of Leopard's launch.

So, would like to read other G4 owners' experiences in upgrading to Leopard 10.5.

How fast is the Leopard OS? Any major installation problems?

I may wait until early 2008 before replacing my Powerbook with a new MacBook Pro -- and Leopard, but am interested in current G4 owners' experiences with Leopard now.

but am interested in current G4 owners' experiences with Leopard now.

I just got done installing 10.5 on my iBook G4 (1.2Ghz late 04). Runs like a dream, snappy too. the only abnormality I've found is the apple menu is not transparent. I suspect (shot in the dark guess) that is because the lack of Vram on my mac. Otherwise it was a smoother install than my G5 tower. Hope this helps.

I just got done installing 10.5 on my iBook G4 (1.2Ghz late 04). Runs like a dream, snappy too. the only abnormality I've found is the apple menu is not transparent. I suspect (shot in the dark guess) that is because the lack of Vram on my mac. Otherwise it was a smoother install than my G5 tower. Hope this helps.

I have the same iBook. Jaguar installed successfully, but when it went to reboot, I got the Apple logo, then a blue screen, and it's been stuck there for about an hour. Does it take a while to index or something? How long did it take yours to reboot?

Just to relay my experience : I have a 15" Powerbook G4 1.67GHz with 1.5GB RAM . Installed Leopard this morning doing a clean install, formatted HD with 0's first - of course after backing everything up! The install went fantastic and I have reloaded everything I need back on and everything has been running great! Very happy so far. Not sure if it is my imagination but I swear it is booting faster than before.

Thanks for your response. Helps me very much.

--BruceG

Thanks for your response. Helps me very much.

--BruceG

I installed leopard yesterday on my iBook g4 1.44 with 1.5gb. It runs pretty well, coverflow can be a bit laggy. Spaces works very snappily, and it copes surprsising well with stacks. All in all, seems to run at a similar speed to tiger. The apple menu is transparent on my ibook. And oddly the airport performance seems better, I'm finding more networks on the airport menu.

I have an 1.42ghz ibook G4 with 512 ram and leopard runns great! cover flow and minimizing is a bit laggy but other than that its epic. It makes my mac run great and make it feel new again and looks very slick. I highly recommend leopard to anyone that wants a new fast reliable operating system.

I have an 1.42ghz ibook G4 with 512 ram and leopard runns great! cover flow and minimizing is a bit laggy but other than that its epic. It makes my mac run great and make it feel new again and looks very slick. I highly recommend leopard to anyone that wants a new fast reliable operating system.

512mb RAM is the minimum recommended for Leopard, so that stuff would improve I bet with a RAM upgrade.

roog

For fun, I installed Leopard on my 17'' iMac G4 800 MHz. Though not superfast, it runs acceptable, browsing, mailing, watching DVD's can be done without problems...

leopard_800mhz.jpg

Edited by Highstreet

I only installed leopard last night, but so far I'm liking what I'm seeing, mostly. I would like to have a shiny blue apple menu icon though...

In any event, the whole system seems a bit snappier, quicker and smoother. I'm on an iBook G4, 1.42 GHz, 1.5 gigs of RAM.

put leopard on my 15 inch powerbook 1Ghz with only 512 RAM. Runs faster than Tiger. Recommend it... anyone have extra PC133 RAM sitting around?

Devin

For fun, I installed Leopard on my 17'' iMac G4 800 MHz. Though not superfast, it runs acceptable, browsing, mailing, watching DVD's can be done without problems...

Hello Christopher,

Did you install Leopard directly to your mac or did you follow this instructions:

http://www.maccast.com/2007/10/29/running-...67-mhz-g4-macs/

On my 800Mhz iMac G4 there is one problem: the screen stays black after the iMac went into sleep. This is likely an issue with the NVIDIA GeForce4 MX chipset. Any Leopard user with GeForce4 MX that can confirm that sleep doesn't function?

Highstreet, did you have any fan problems? I did a normal upgrade from Panther 10.3.9 to Leopard on my iMac 1.25GHz G4, and everything seems to be OK except that my fan runs continuously now, from power on to sleep or power off. Under Panther, it rarely ran.

Highstreet, did you have any fan problems? I did a normal upgrade from Panther 10.3.9 to Leopard on my iMac 1.25GHz G4, and everything seems to be OK except that my fan runs continuously now, from power on to sleep or power off. Under Panther, it rarely ran.

Try resetting the PRAM; I've seen that cause strange fan behavior. Start your machine while holding command-option-p-r and let it chime a few times before you let go and let it finish booting.

-Tom

Try resetting the PRAM; I've seen that cause strange fan behavior. Start your machine while holding command-option-p-r and let it chime a few times before you let go and let it finish booting.

-Tom

Tom, thanks for the tip. I tried it, and the fan still runs, but it seems not to be so loud. The air coming out is cool. I'll ask my wife when she gets home if she sees any difference in fan operation. Thanks again.

ccguy