oyah

Storage solutions on MBP

Hi everyone,

I've got a MBP with an 80 GB hard drive. I've got four users on it, one of which my wife and I use for music (iTunes) only. That way both of us can log in and listen to music, or add new music, in a common user. This user takes up about 25 GB.

I'm running out of space (8GB let on the hard drive) and I want to install Windows/Parallels, so I need more room.

The obvious solution is to replace the internal HD. But I also want to be able to take advantage of Time Machine (which seems to require an external HD). So I'm thinking about getting a big external drive.

My question is, Can I run a user from an external HD? That is to say, can I move my 25 GB music user to the external drive?

Thanks!

Hi everyone,

I've got a MBP with an 80 GB hard drive. I've got four users on it, one of which my wife and I use for music (iTunes) only. That way both of us can log in and listen to music, or add new music, in a common user. This user takes up about 25 GB.

I'm running out of space (8GB let on the hard drive) and I want to install Windows/Parallels, so I need more room.

The obvious solution is to replace the internal HD. But I also want to be able to take advantage of Time Machine (which seems to require an external HD). So I'm thinking about getting a big external drive.

My question is, Can I run a user from an external HD? That is to say, can I move my 25 GB music user to the external drive?

Thanks!

Yes, you can move the user to an external hard drive, just make sure that the hard drive is connected upon launching iTunes, otherwise you'll get the 'exclamation point of death'. Is the MBP stationary, or does it do it's main function and travel? If it travels, then a portable 2.5" hard drive, that's USB powered is the best way to go. It'll add to what you have to carry around, but it isn't too heavy. If it's stationary, get an externally powered firewire drive for storage. I'd get a big hard drive, and partition it for time machine and data storage. Just my suggestion though.

FYI It won't be the user you'll be moving to the itunes library. Just the iTunes library. To move your music, you'll need to change the default location of your music library to a folder you've created on the external disk

advanced-20071025-092022.jpg

Then to initiate the move, choose Consolidate Library from the Advanced menu

qucs-20071025-092150.jpg

Once that has finished (it will leave iTunes unusable for a few hours, so I'd recommend you do it over night - without any music playing as you can't turn it off) you can delete your original music files - but not the iTunes library files, just the mp3 / aac files.

Yes, you can move the user to an external hard drive, just make sure that the hard drive is connected upon launching iTunes, otherwise you'll get the 'exclamation point of death'. Is the MBP stationary, or does it do it's main function and travel? If it travels, then a portable 2.5" hard drive, that's USB powered is the best way to go. It'll add to what you have to carry around, but it isn't too heavy. If it's stationary, get an externally powered firewire drive for storage. I'd get a big hard drive, and partition it for time machine and data storage. Just my suggestion though.

Thanks. How bad is the exclamation point of death? It sounds pretty bad! If I accidentally launch iTunes without the HD connected, will I be able to fix the problem by quitting iTunes, connecting the HD and trying again?

The MBP is largely stationary so I probably will get an externally powered drive. Partitioning it is a great idea.

Finally, just to be clear, do you agree with Graham that I should only move the iTunes library not the whole user?

Thanks very much.

FYI It won't be the user you'll be moving to the itunes library. Just the iTunes library. To move your music, you'll need to change the default location of your music library to a folder you've created on the external disk

Then to initiate the move, choose Consolidate Library from the Advanced menu

Once that has finished (it will leave iTunes unusable for a few hours, so I'd recommend you do it over night - without any music playing as you can't turn it off) you can delete your original music files - but not the iTunes library files, just the mp3 / aac files.

Wow, great post, thanks very much! Is it impossible to move the user to the external HD, or just unnecessary?

No idea if it's possible (actually I can think of a way that might work), but you really don't need to if all you use the account for is iTunes - that's your big space hog. And you'll notice a serious drop in performance too if you do.