Sign in to follow this  
Harry_The_Bustard

MacCast 10.24.2007 - Show #204

It was said in Chapter 12 "Buying Leopard" (33:33) that only up to five members of a household who are under the same roof can install it but, to quote Apple's UK Store page, it also encompasses "...student members who are primary residents of that household but reside at a separate on-campus location". It's a subtlety but a potentially valuable one

mobilexile    0
It was said in Chapter 12 "Buying Leopard" (33:33) that only up to five members of a household who are under the same roof can install it but, to quote Apple's UK Store page, it also encompasses "...student members who are primary residents of that household but reside at a separate on-campus location". It's a subtlety but a potentially valuable one

That's interesting. I've asked this question of Apple -- on the 800 phone line and at the Genius Bar at an Apple Store -- in both instances I was told that a friend, who does not live with me, can share in my family copy of OS X.

Dolphbucs    2

I think Apple is just being realistic in this. They realize that without the hardcore copy protection that MS employs, we're all pretty much on the honor system and probably figure that if you are conscientious enough to ask that question, you aren't going to abuse it .... and if they sold you a 5 copy license they probably aren't that concerned as to which 5 people are using it.

I've even had this happen to me. Last fall, I purchased iWork 08 and iLife 08. I wasn't really thinking and purchased a single license for iWork and a family pack for iLife. It later occurred to me that any new Mac I purchased would not have iWork, but would have iLife. Then, as luck would have it, I got my MBP in January. So, I called Applecare to ask if there was any way I could filp my licenses. The Apple rep was very nice, thanked me for my concern, but then just told me to go ahead and install iWork on my MBP. She also did say that at sometime in the future Apple could decide to get more strict in its policy, however.