desertrose0601

Linksys router hates my Airport Express

I just bought an Airport Express to extend the wireless network at my house. I'd like to use my iBook in the back bedroom which is on the other side of the house from my Linksys WRT54G v8.0 router. Unfortunately the router and the express are not playing nice. I read somewhere about enabling WDS but cannot for the life of me figure out how to do that. When I go into the Airport Utility and start entering my information, this is where I get stuck. (See screenshot below). Any suggestions?

airport_utility-20071027-162407.jpg

I would start by plugging in the Express in the same room as the Linksys to make sure it can see it. I was able to use an Express with a Belkin base station a couple years ago to extend the network and I don't remember anything exotic in setting it up.

I would start by plugging in the Express in the same room as the Linksys to make sure it can see it. I was able to use an Express with a Belkin base station a couple years ago to extend the network and I don't remember anything exotic in setting it up.

I finally got it to work!! I had to go into "Manual Setup" and rename it the same name as my router. Then also had to make sure they were both on setting "11". Now it seems to connect no problem!! Only took me three hours... sigh...

I finally got it to work!! I had to go into "Manual Setup" and rename it the same name as my router. Then also had to make sure they were both on setting "11". Now it seems to connect no problem!! Only took me three hours... sigh...

I take it back - it's not working. In some random fluke, I was actually able to connect to the router with a full connectivity status. But now the atmosphere has shifted again and my connection is dropping, so it's apparent that I'm not actually connecting through the AE. What am I doing wrong?? The green light is on. Shouldn't my iBook just see it?

I should add.. the main computer on the network is a PC. Don't know if this makes a difference. The computer I'm trying to connect to the network wirelessly is a Mac. It connects fine to the wireless network normally - just not when I'm on the other side of the house. I was just trying to extend my network and now I'm pulling my hair out!!!

Edited by desertrose0601

I take it back - it's not working. In some random fluke, I was actually able to connect to the router with a full connectivity status. But now the atmosphere has shifted again and my connection is dropping, so it's apparent that I'm not actually connecting through the AE. What am I doing wrong?? The green light is on. Shouldn't my iBook just see it?

I should add.. the main computer on the network is a PC. Don't know if this makes a difference. The computer I'm trying to connect to the network wirelessly is a Mac. It connects fine to the wireless network normally - just not when I'm on the other side of the house. I was just trying to extend my network and now I'm pulling my hair out!!!

Okay I've given up on getting it to connect to the internet. I have another question though. I figured out how to connect it to my stereo. That works fine. But now I can either connect to the AirTunes network I just created or to Linksys network, not both. Since the AirTunes network is only connecting my stereo to my computer, and the Linksys network is connecting my computer to the internet, I would think that I should be able to connect to them both at the same time. Any thoughts?

Edited by desertrose0601

Not sure what the problem is with connecting to the airport express network. I have my express running in WDS mode with my main router (a thompson speedtouch) and I just need to connect to the express to be able to see the rest of my network. I found that all you need to do is have them on the same channel, naming the networks the same isn't necessary.

Not sure what the problem is with connecting to the airport express network. I have my express running in WDS mode with my main router (a thompson speedtouch) and I just need to connect to the express to be able to see the rest of my network. I found that all you need to do is have them on the same channel, naming the networks the same isn't necessary.

Oh this is driving me crazy!!! I can find the Airport Express network just fine; but all it will let me do is play music through my stereo. It absolutely refuses to connect to my wireless network; it also won't print to my USB attached printer. I've tried every possible combination of settings that I can think of, but it won't connect to the wireless network created by Linksys router. What on earth am I doing wrong??

You have enabled WDS on your other router, haven't you? Some versions of the Linksys software don't support WDS. You may need to install the hacky firmware to enable it.

You have enabled WDS on your other router, haven't you? Some versions of the Linksys software don't support WDS. You may need to install the hacky firmware to enable it.

Hope this isn't a dumb question, but how do I enable WDS? I didn't seem to find any settings for this on the Linksys router setup screen. I really don't want to hack into the firmware either, since this is actually my parent's router and I don't want to break it for them.

If there aren't any settings then I'd imagine WDS isn't supported. It's pretty obvious on my speedtouch.

If there aren't any settings then I'd imagine WDS isn't supported. It's pretty obvious on my speedtouch.

Alright, I did a little more research and found some interesting things about this subject. (I love Google!) Basically the gist of it is that b/c WDS is such a randomly non-conformist version of wi-fi, very few routers support it. In fact, besides the Apple Extreme, there are like 5 other routers on the face of this planet that actually do support it (at least at the time that that article was written). They did point to a link (the aforementioned one by Joe28753) that gave point by point instructions for how to set up a Linksys WRT54G router!!! It's one of the very few that does support WDS, and if I remember rightly, that's the same model that I have (I'll have to double check when I get home), so I'll try this out this weekend when I have a little more time and let you guys know what happens. Basically it involves doing a bunch of mojo and dancing on one foot, but hopefully it'll work!

Edited by desertrose0601