Sign in to follow this  
boyfarrell

My Leopard Menu Bar Isn't Transparent -- Whoo!

Hello,

leopard-menu-bar.png

My Leopard Menu Bar Isn't Transparent! Not that I'm complaining, I always did think that it looked silly like that. I would like to know why it isn't transparent? Could it be my hardware? I'm running a PowerBook G5 1.5Ghz with 1Gb ram stick installed.

Cheers,

DJF

Edited by boyfarrell

Hello,

leopard-menu-bar.png

My Leopard Menu Bar Isn't Transparent! Not that I'm complaining, I always did think that it looked silly like that. I would like to know why it isn't transparent? Could it be my hardware? I'm running a PowerBook G5 1.5Ghz with 1Gb ram stick installed.

Cheers,

DJF

Have you tried a different desktop background? It's a translucent grey to begin with, so on a grey desktop background, it'd look opaque. Try this and let us know if it changes.

It has to do with the hardware, on my 2.8Ghz Intel iMac the bar is transparant, on my 1.25Ghz G4 Mac Mini the menubar is solid, both are fresh installs with the same (default) background

Edited by Highstreet

Hi,

Yes, the picture doesn't show it very well but even with a colourful background the menu bar is opaque. It is interesting; it seems that G4 hardware doesn't do the transparency. Weird has it can do all the other quartz stuff no problem...?

Maybe I should post a bug for this?

DJF

Hi,

Yes, the picture doesn't show it very well but even with a colourful background the menu bar is opaque. It is interesting; it seems that G4 hardware doesn't do the transparency. Weird has it can do all the other quartz stuff no problem...?

Maybe I should post a bug for this?

DJF

It sounds like a bug, but I guess it could be a hardware limitation (although I don't know why it would limit menu bar transparency and not other parts of leopard). Sorry about earlier, but with the grey background, it looked like you just couldn't tell if it was transparent or not. My bad.

It sounds like a bug, but I guess it could be a hardware limitation (although I don't know why it would limit menu bar transparency and not other parts of leopard). Sorry about earlier, but with the grey background, it looked like you just couldn't tell if it was transparent or not. My bad.

Im running leopard on my 1.42 ghz G4 with 512mb of ram and i have the transparent menu bar...

maybe some installs didn't include it or it is a hardware limitation and i just got lucky?

Some people are getting the transparent bar and some people are not. It seems to be loosley related to the power of the hardware, but no one has found a definate answer. Sometimes 2 identical machines will get different results. Sometimes re-installing will give you a different result. I really hope Apple eventually gives us an option to turn it off.