weetzie

Problems shutting down/restarting?

I've been having this problem lately. I don't know if it is specifically Leopard because AFAIK I sometimes had the problem in Tiger as well. I have completely erased and installed Leopard, and am still having the problem.

Here's the deal. When I try to restart or shut down, it takes a long time, and then I'll get a message saying, for example, "Text edit has cancelled restart." It could be any one program that is currently open. From my experience, isn't shutdown or restart supposed to kill any running programs? I'm going to be upset if I have to shut down every program before restarting.

Additionally, if I do close them all, it still takes a long time to restart/shutdown and hangs a lot.

Does anybody else know what I'm talking about? Any suggestions?

I've been having this problem lately. I don't know if it is specifically Leopard because AFAIK I sometimes had the problem in Tiger as well. I have completely erased and installed Leopard, and am still having the problem.

Here's the deal. When I try to restart or shut down, it takes a long time, and then I'll get a message saying, for example, "Text edit has cancelled restart." It could be any one program that is currently open. From my experience, isn't shutdown or restart supposed to kill any running programs? I'm going to be upset if I have to shut down every program before restarting.

Additionally, if I do close them all, it still takes a long time to restart/shutdown and hangs a lot.

Does anybody else know what I'm talking about? Any suggestions?

Any program thats caught up in a loop can hang the restart/shutdown sequence. Sometimes you get the choice to force quit them by the system to proceed logout but on other occasions you just get the message app xyz stopped restart/shutdown.

Press command-option-escape and force quit that program and select restart/shutdown again.

It happens and this is a workaround.

HTH

Rob

Any program thats caught up in a loop can hang the restart/shutdown sequence. Sometimes you get the choice to force quit them by the system to proceed logout but on other occasions you just get the message app xyz stopped restart/shutdown.

Press command-option-escape and force quit that program and select restart/shutdown again.

It happens and this is a workaround.

HTH

Rob

To go along with this problem, I just had a similar thing happen except my Leopard machine just became stuck. It went to shutdown and it just hung on a blank screen with the dial turning (same dial that is on startup screen, under the Apple emblem). I let it sit there for roughly 20 minutes before I finally did a hard shut down by holding in the power button. I for the life of me couldn't figure out what happened. I just know that before that, my RAM was pretty loaded down, so that could have caused an issue. Just not sure though.

If you get in the habit of quitting all Applications before you log out, you can avoid this problem. The quick way to do this is hold Cmd and hit Tab to switch between Apps and hit Q (while continuing to hold Cmd) to quit the highlighted App.

I find this happens most often when the offending program has an issue it wants the user to resolve before shut down. For instance, TextEdit has an open document and it wants to know if it should be saved before quitting. The problem is that a dialog box is opened (and often hidden from view by other applications).

Here are a couple other keyboard shortcuts which might prove useful -

Control-Command-Eject

Quits all applications (after giving you a chance to save changes to open documents) and restarts the computer.

Control-Option-Command-Eject

Quits all applications (after giving you a chance to save changes to open documents) and shuts the computer down.

Note: When I use either of these the Mac shuts things down one app at a time so a dialog box which needs action appears and I can do whatever. I sometimes still get the Logon Timeout message.

If you get in the habit of quitting all Applications before you log out, you can avoid this problem. The quick way to do this is hold Cmd and hit Tab to switch between Apps and hit Q (while continuing to hold Cmd) to quit the highlighted App.

I pretty much always quit apps before shutting down or restarting, which avoids the originals poster's problem MOST of the time.

However, non-app processes can also cause a shutdown failure. The most frequent instance of this for me has been the iDisk mirror process, which runs in the background. The only way to shut that down is to launch the activity monitor and find the offending process and kill it from there.

Sometimes even that doesn't work, and then the only thing to do is hard-reboot the machine. But of course that's a last resort.

Edited by kimgh