Kosmos

From Panther to Leopard

Leopard will not install on my desktop, which is Panther (10.3.9), do I really have to buy Tiger in order to install Leopard?

I even tried to install Tiger using the system disk from another computer and it would not allow me to do it. Any thoughts, tips, or advice?

Thank you!

Its probably not possible to Upgrade from Panther to Leopard, and if you dont want to buy Tiger then you would need to backup all your data and then do an Erase and Install to do a clean installation of Leopard instead of trying to do an upgrade.

And those system disks are tied to the specific hardware model, and so thats why you cant use it from another computer.

Edited by ithonicfury

Leopard will not install on my desktop, which is Panther (10.3.9), do I really have to buy Tiger in order to install Leopard?

I even tried to install Tiger using the system disk from another computer and it would not allow me to do it. Any thoughts, tips, or advice?

Thank you!

It's entirely possible to do. In my own experience, I upgraded straight from Jaguar to Tiger, skipping Panther, and had no problems whatsoever. If I remember rightly, I first used an "Archive & Install" which worked fine, and then later decided to re-do it with an "Erase & Install", just to clean out some of the cruft (as Adam puts it) that I wasn't using anymore. Both options worked flawlessly and didn't seem to mind that I hadn't installed the intermediate OS.

Since you seem to be having problems with this though, I only have one question: what model of Mac do you have? As long as you have a G4 (867 MHz processor) or newer, you'll be fine. If you're trying to use an older Mac, then no, it won't work, regardless of whether or not you have Tiger on there. I really don't think it has anything to do with not having Tiger, but more to do with having older, incompatible hardware.

Edited by desertrose0601

Thank you!

I did a normal upgrade (not an archive and install, nor a clear and install) from Panther 10.3.9 on my G4 iMac to Leopard. It installed normally. Things that I have tried so far run properly, but I don't have any really sophisticated software on that machine. That's the good news. The bad news is that the fan runs all the time now; it rarely ran under Panther.