Sign in to follow this  
bellevue

Homeworld 2

I'm not sure how many gamers there are here, but for those of you that are, I though that I'd write a bit of a review.

Systerm Requirements:

Operating System: Mac OS X 10.2.8 or later

CPU Processor: PowerPC G4 or later

CPU Speed: 800MHz or faster

Memory: 256 MB or higher

Hard Disk Space: 1GB free disk space

Video Card (ATI): Radeon 7500 or better

Video Card (NVidia): GeForce2 MX or better

Video Memory (VRam): 32 MB or higher

Media Required: CD Drive

The original Homeworld never made it's way to the mac, so I don't know a whole lot about the storyline. This is a RTS game. Unlike anyother RTS, it is in 3D. This introduces a whole new twist to the realm of Real Time Strategy Games. Now to my experience with the game.

It was about 2 weeks before my birthday when I decided to take a look at this game. I had seen it through my favorite mac gamingpublisher,www.aspyr.com. I downloaded the demo. The next to weeks were absolute torture. The demo comes with the three turorials and the first singleplayer campaign mission. I played through the first mission at least once a day for two weeks. I couldn't stop staring at the squadrons of interceptor space fighters and the intricarte patterns of their trails.

When my birthday finaly came, I got the game around 8 P.M. Let's just say I didn't get nearly enough sleep that night.

Some of my favorite features:

- The 3D game play. Dont want to do a frontal assault on an enemy who is at the edge of a map? Simple. Fly 10KM down, and then fly striaght up into their base.

- The Graphics. Amazing. Enough said.

- Easy to learn, impossible to master. The game's tutorials give you a crash course in the game contols. It convers everything you need to know to start out. You will be able to figure everything else out in the campaign.

- You're larger ships can build "subsystems" on them. These range from a hyperspace module to a capital ship facility. If you are attacking a ship that can keep producing units as it fights, (such as a carrier or mother ship) you can destroy their ship production facilities individually.

- The wide range of ships. You can build anything from tiny single ships like interceptors to Gargantuan Super Capital Ships like the Battlecruisers.

I could go on and on and on, but I am running short on time.

The bottom line: This is probably the best game I have ever played, possibly in second to Halo 2. I love everything about this game. It's well worth the measley $30.

Buy the game here:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B00...6882057-8791922

P.S. Drop me a messege if you buy it, I'd love to play online with anyone who buys it.

I've played Homeworld and Homeworld 2 on the Intel platform years ago. They are RTS but unlike C&C and Warcraft/Starcraft the playing field is 3D and have a slight learning curve. But it's pretty natural once you master it. A 2 buttons mouse is a must for this game.

FYI.. You can buy Homeworld 2 for $10 on the PC platform.

Homeworld is still one of the best RTS games I have ever played. It only had a few tiny faults. Those faults were universally quashed in Homeworld 2, and it remains at the pinnacle of what I think a quality RTS game can and should be.