Sign in to follow this  
BlackSunshine

iBook G4 freezing issue???

This is a vexing issue that has been troubling me for a few weeks now. The iBook in question freezes up when booting up. Sometimes at the screen with the Apple logo and sometimes just before it. Last Sunday I did a clean install of the OS and was using OS X. It was really slow and the beech ball kept comming up for the simplist tasks. I ran the update and downloaded and intstalled them. Upon reboot, it went right back to freezing up. I am able to get into the firmware while booting and like I said I can run the install disks and reinstall the OS but the end result is the same. Any idea what the issue is. I'm positive it has to be hardware related, just not sure if the Hard drive is ready to give up on me, or memory or what? Any suggestions would be great no matter how off the wall they seem. Thanks maccast community.

Cheers

Sounds like a failing hard drive to me, but it could also be realted to memory. If you have multiple sticks of RAM try removing one and then the other, and see if you get the same results. Also if you have a FireWire drive or another Mac that you can boot from, that will help determine if it is a hard drive issues. Hope that helps!

Sounds like a failing hard drive to me, but it could also be realted to memory. If you have multiple sticks of RAM try removing one and then the other, and see if you get the same results. Also if you have a FireWire drive or another Mac that you can boot from, that will help determine if it is a hard drive issues. Hope that helps!

I would agree, sounds like hardware if reinstalling the OS doesn't do anything.

Thought I would let you guys know what the issue ended up being. After running Disk Utility from the install disk, I was not able to test the drive, it would keep failing. I knew then that it must be the hard drive. I bought a used one off ebay for $25 and replaced the old one, installed the OS and now she runs like it did when it was brand new:) Thanks for the suggestions guys, helped out a lot. I would prolly still be debating on what the heck was going on.

Cheers