Sign in to follow this  
pds6

Uploading to iTunes automatically

I don't know whether I hit the wrong setting or this is a new feature, but after downloading an MP3 song file to my Finder it automatically opens iTunes 4.9 and begins to play.

Is this a new feature or did I hit the wrong setting. I have tried to disable the feature without success.

There are two good reasons why I wish to disable this feature. First, it does not work correctly and routinely misses at least one song when I have downloaded an album. Second, I am usually playing other music while downloading and don't want that music cut short by the newly downloaded MP3 file.

HELP!!!

What are you using to download the songs/albums? Are they from the iTunes music store? If it's iTunes, there is a Preference under the Store tab which, I think , defaults to 'Play songs after downloading'.

You don't say what you are using to download the files that are opening of their own accord. If it is Safari, then under "Safari > Preferences > General", there is a checkbox that says "Open safe files after downloading". Could it be this that is identifying the downloaded MP3 file as associated with iTunes, and automatically opening iTunes for you ?? Try unchecking this and see if that works. If it is not Safari that is doing this, then maybe the last person's post is of more help. Cheers.

I tried downloading with Safari Preferences "Open safe files after downloading" off and it still does it. Good suggestion!

I am downloading from a non-iTune site. The mp3 downloads to my desktop and then iTunes will load and begin playing the song.

It was the Open "safe" file in Safari. I unchecked it but did not relaunch Safari before downloading.

If you are having MP3s automatically launch in iTunes, turn-off "Open "safe" files after download" in the "Safari" "Preference" "General".