SleeplessinMacWorld

Getting ready to upgrade to Leopard but..

Based on what the forum has written on some of the applications, its probably best that I sit on my hands for Leopard, but curiousity is killing me. Before doing a complete erase and install, I plan on backing my data up to a second internal HDD using Super Duper and slowly migrating the data over that I need. My question is this: the last time that I did this, I had difficulty backing up Itunes. All the Podcasts and music were there, but it wasn't in the same folders they were before the erase and install. Does anyone know of a thread or a step by step tutorial that explains how to migrate Itunes data after an erase and install. I don't want to have to grab my podcasts from my music folder again. None of my podcasts were in the designated tabs. Thanks so much. If I recall correctly, everything else swapped over flawlessly as long as I had the version of I Life installed that I had my latest data on. It was just Itunes I had issues with.

Edited by SleeplessinMacWorld

Oh I also forgot to mention, I am not interested in backing it up to CD/DVD as I know that is something that Itunes 7 now includes. I just want everything to be exactly the way it was prior to the erase and install. Thanks.

Oh I also forgot to mention, I am not interested in backing it up to CD/DVD as I know that is something that Itunes 7 now includes. I just want everything to be exactly the way it was prior to the erase and install. Thanks.

Wellto be honest iTunes I ddnot have any issues with at all when upgrading that went more than fine.

But I have a lot of Network issues be it Mac to WIndows, Mac to Mac to Backtomy Mac, nothing works.

iCal and .mac syncing is absolutly broken and iCal or .Mac deleted a new calendar I created.

And also I had moved some calendars in a group but the group is also gone and the calendars are where they were before.

Right, but I am not doing a standard "upgrade" from Tiger to Leopard. I am going to wipe the drive of Tiger and start fresh with Leopard. I recall that a simple import did not work last time. Eventually, I am going to have to upgrade past the 160GB drive anyway, so anyones insight would be wonderful :)

If you copy the whole ~/Music/iTunes folder to an external harddrive or something then when you install leopard, just copy over the iTunes folder into ~/Music/ and overwrite the default one, launch iTunes and it will load your library just like it was (it will take you through the little wizard thing but its normal and wont mess with your library).

Thats what I did last time. What ended up happening was all the playlists were there 'title only' with no music and the Podcasts were in my music library rather than being in the Podcast tab under subscriptions.

Thats what Ive done every time Ive done a clean install of Tiger, or when I did a clean install of Leopard from Tiger and its always worked perfectly. My podcasts all show back up, with keeping what was new and what wasn't, playlists and smart playlists there with music, play counts still there, etc.

If you go to iTunes > Preferences > Advanced > General are "Copy files to iTunes Music folder" and "Keep iTunes Music folder organized" checked?

Thats what Ive done every time Ive done a clean install of Tiger, or when I did a clean install of Leopard from Tiger and its always worked perfectly. My podcasts all show back up, with keeping what was new and what wasn't, playlists and smart playlists there with music, play counts still there, etc.

If you go to iTunes > Preferences > Advanced > General are "Copy files to iTunes Music folder" and "Keep iTunes Music folder organized" checked?

Well first make an upgrade, update everything to an external drive with Time Machine.

and then do a clean install and use to migration wizard to import all your music and settings from you time machine backup.

Works i have done it.

I would like to point out that a "backup" that you slowly restore from isn't really a backup at all. If you move everything to an external HD and it fails (which is exactly what happened to me) before you have a chance to move it back, you'll loose it.

-Tom

I would like to point out that a "backup" that you slowly restore from isn't really a backup at all. If you move everything to an external HD and it fails (which is exactly what happened to me) before you have a chance to move it back, you'll loose it.

-Tom

I don't quite understand what you mean.

A backup is a backup.