Dayjob Dave

No Luck Resetting Airport Express Station

My home wireless network consists of an Airport Extreme Base station and two Airport Express Remote stations. The one attached to my home theater/stereo is the most distant from the base station and works fine - steady green light shining. The one half way between the base station and the stereo (put in as a repeater) has given me fits - no matter what I do, I can not get it to reset and function - slowly blinking yellow light. I have spent hours in the Airport Admin Utility and Airport Setup Assistant, plodding up and down the stairs with my bent paper clip to once again reset the Express all to no avail. I can see it in Admin Utility, but it will not configure.

Any ideas? I don't mind admitting that this feels over my head, so any advice needs to be at a pretty simplistic, cookbook kind of level.

Don't feel bad about thinking it's over your head. I usually feel the same way. It wasn't long ago that plain networking was a realm restricted to the pros. Wireless networking is even more complex and still rife with situational problems so it's really hard to troubleshoot.

Have you tried plugging it in right next to your base station? I've found that tends to eliminate most interference problems.

Don't feel bad about thinking it's over your head. I usually feel the same way. It wasn't long ago that plain networking was a realm restricted to the pros. Wireless networking is even more complex and still rife with situational problems so it's really hard to troubleshoot.

Have you tried plugging it in right next to your base station? I've found that tends to eliminate most interference problems.

I have tried that but will try again.

Strange thing is that the express station connected to the stereo is working fine, even though it is way out of range (I think) of the base station. So the troublemaker express station in the middle must be functioning somehow relaying the signal to the stereo express station, but not allowing detection and configuration itself.

I had a similar issue trying to get my second base station to be a repeater. When I set it up it would disapear from the utility and never come back. I could not reset it per the instructions so I tried resetting it by:

1) unplug power from router

2) push reset button and hold

3) plug power back in while holding th erest button

That should reset it. Let me know if that works. (I also spent hours on this.)

two side notes : 1) gave up trying to extend router. I setup wireless distribution network. Worked first time. 2) I find VPN does not work correctly with some PC's. Linksys always works, Apple extreme base station works most of the time but will often skip the heartbeat and thus break the VPN connection.

I had a similar issue trying to get my second base station to be a repeater. When I set it up it would disapear from the utility and never come back. I could not reset it per the instructions so I tried resetting it by:

1) unplug power from router

2) push reset button and hold

3) plug power back in while holding th erest button

That should reset it. Let me know if that works. (I also spent hours on this.)

two side notes : 1) gave up trying to extend router. I setup wireless distribution network. Worked first time. 2) I find VPN does not work correctly with some PC's. Linksys always works, Apple extreme base station works most of the time but will often skip the heartbeat and thus break the VPN connection.

When you say unplug power from router - is this = unplug the airport express from the wall outlet?

And then plug it back in while holding the reset button in? Wow, at least it's something I haven't tried yet. Will let you know - Thanks

I agree with the suggestion of using WDS rather than just extending the network. It's a bit more difficult to do, but since you're running all apple networking hardware it will be much more reliable. This is how I've got my network set up at the moment.

I agree with the suggestion of using WDS rather than just extending the network. It's a bit more difficult to do, but since you're running all apple networking hardware it will be much more reliable. This is how I've got my network set up at the moment.

OK, where might I find a resource for setting up a WDS - and does it utilize the hardware I already have in place? And, oh yes, of course I have to take into account my Windoze relic which must connect in as well.

Yep, its all very easy. Basically what you end up with is three separate networks as far as your computer is concerned (works fine with mac and windows), but data is able to be sent to all three networks. There's a good tutorial at http://mactip.blogspot.com/2006/07/airport...aisy-chain.html

It's for the older version of admin utility, but the principle is the same. Any problems post back here, I might as well use my networking degree for something...

When you say unplug power from router - is this = unplug the airport express from the wall outlet?

And then plug it back in while holding the reset button in? Wow, at least it's something I haven't tried yet. Will let you know - Thanks

Just unplug it the power from the router. You can unplug it from the wall but I am too lazy to reach down. This process always worked for me in resetting the router.

When setting up a WDS you might want to turn off all security from the router just to make sure you have set it up right. Once you get it working turn on WPA/WPA2 on both routers.

Just unplug it the power from the router. You can unplug it from the wall but I am too lazy to reach down. This process always worked for me in resetting the router.

No go. As always when trying to reset, I got a couple of green blinks then steady yellow. A minute or so later, it goes to blinking yellow. This was using the unplug, push and hold reset, and plug back into power. On Airport Admin now, I don't even see the Apple Express showing as an option to configure..

I've had that before but thankfully it was still under applecare since the only solution seemed to be replacement.