kman101

iWork Or Microsoft Office

Well, I'm getting a new MacBook for Christmas, and I'm trying to decide weather to get iWork of Microsoft Office. From what I saw during the announcement of iWork '08, is that Pages is now easy to use as a word processing program. Am I wrong? What do you think.

And if you're wondering, I'm just a student and it would be used for assignments and things like that.

-Kyle

Edited by kman101

iWork will be alot faster, as its universal while Office is not. Pages is just as easy to use as any other word processor, it has its own little quirks as they all do.

Included with your new Macbook should be a 30 day trial of both Office 04 and iWork 08 (if not iWork then you can just download the trial from apples site) and decide which one you like better.

iWork will be alot faster, as its universal while Office is not. Pages is just as easy to use as any other word processor, it has its own little quirks as they all do.

Included with your new Macbook should be a 30 day trial of both Office 04 and iWork 08 (if not iWork then you can just download the trial from apples site) and decide which one you like better.

Thanks for that. Honestly, i was leaning towards iwork. ;) Anyone else?

-Kyle

Edited by kman101

Well, I'm getting a new MacBook for Christmas, and I'm trying to decide weather to get iWork of Microsoft Office. From what I saw during the announcement of iWork '08, is that Pages is now easy to use as a word processing program. Am I wrong? What do you think.

And if you're wondering, I'm just a student and it would be used for assignments and things like that.

-Kyle

I like iWorks personally but if you want to export a Numbers file in .xls format it's not ideal as Numbers aligns sheets vertically (down the left-hand side) and Office aligns them horizontally (along the bottom). Although an exported file will look fine either it can mess-up any design work.

Another option is the excellent NeoOffice ( http://www.neooffice.org/neojava/en/index.php ) which is donation-ware but is free to download and isn't crippled in any way.

Hope that helps:-)

-Kyle

one other thing worth mentioning is office 2008 will be available in jan or feb '08. The student price will be somewhere along $180, not a cheapo. iWork 08 is $79 and will do many of the things you want to do with office. Remember Numbers is not 100% compatible with Excel so dependent upon your need of intensive excel sheets that might give you a hassle. Else I think you will like getting rid of Word, being a way too large do-it-all app, where all you want to do it produce properly formatted pieces of text - maybe illustrated with nice jpegs (placeholding in word has always been a pain in the **). So you might find it wise to save 100 bucks and use iWork.

HTH

Rob

one other thing worth mentioning is office 2008 will be available in jan or feb '08. The student price will be somewhere along $180, not a cheapo. iWork 08 is $79 and will do many of the things you want to do with office. Remember Numbers is not 100% compatible with Excel so dependent upon your need of intensive excel sheets that might give you a hassle. Else I think you will like getting rid of Word, being a way too large do-it-all app, where all you want to do it produce properly formatted pieces of text - maybe illustrated with nice jpegs (placeholding in word has always been a pain in the **). So you might find it wise to save 100 bucks and use iWork.

HTH

Rob

Thanks for that. For the next 30 days (trial), I'm going to totally replace office with iWork. Even though I just downloaded it today, I already like it.

-Kyle

I have, use, and love NeoOffice. I've been using it for a while and every release gets easier to use. The upgrade system is a bit confusing and irritating, but it's a great product and it's free. Other than that I'd lean toward pages because of the price, as long as it isn't mission critical to have 100% MS Office compatibility for work or something it should be a great option.

-Tom

I have, use, and love NeoOffice. I've been using it for a while and every release gets easier to use. The upgrade system is a bit confusing and irritating, but it's a great product and it's free. Other than that I'd lean toward pages because of the price, as long as it isn't mission critical to have 100% MS Office compatibility for work or something it should be a great option.

-Tom

In this field you also can take a look at openoffice.org ( http://www.openoffice.org ) it does need X11 to be installed but apart from that it is a complete office (compatible) suit.

HTH

Rob

Edited by cassiope

I used to use Office, but I've now switched to iWork. It's compatible enough with office. It's not 100% there, so if you do need total compatibility go with office but for the majority of tasks it's there.