Sign in to follow this  
hayzjb

please please can someone help with airport

ok got a powermac g4. got an airport card all plugged in and machine recognises it.

virgin wireless router is downstairs

how the hell do i get it to connect to the damn internet.

ive tried allsorts but do i need some other equipment or what?

the computer oesn't seem to recognise the router do i need to buy a base station aswell??

i anyone has an idiots guide that would be much appreciatd as the people in our local mac shop just said buy an airport card and plug it in and away you go. clearly not

help!!!

ok got a powermac g4. got an airport card all plugged in and machine recognises it.

virgin wireless router is downstairs

how the hell do i get it to connect to the damn internet.

ive tried allsorts but do i need some other equipment or what?

the computer oesn't seem to recognise the router do i need to buy a base station aswell??

i anyone has an idiots guide that would be much appreciatd as the people in our local mac shop just said buy an airport card and plug it in and away you go. clearly not

help!!!

Sounds like you are pulling your hair out, well I will start things off.

1, Have you Enabled your Macs Airport? Look on the menu bar and see if its "turned on".

2, When you installed the card did you connect all the cables?

3, Will Airport display SSID's (Router names)

4, Have you ever had anything connected to the router?

5, Has your router been security enabled with WPA/WEP?

It may help if you could be more specific and give us the routers model name/number.

Not sure about your exact issue but I have setup networks using linksys, Dlink, Belkin and Airport routers. The first thing I would do is connet your computer to the router using a cable. Need to take the wireless equation out of the picture. I am not familar with your router but you need to look at the settings. Also how are you connecting to the web (cable, DSL, etc.).

If you still can not connect to your router using a network cable try resetting the router. Try first a soft reset by unplugging the router and wait for 30 seconds. Plug in and see if you can see it. If you still cannot see the router setting try a hard reset. Most hard rest work by pressing a small button on the back of the router for xx secs. This will reset our router to factory defaults. (Also make sure you have the latest firmwire installed.)

You should be able to see your router now. I would setup a wireless network without any security at first to get it working. Once it works

1) hid the network id

2) enable WPA or better WPA2

Please let me know if this helps.