Sign in to follow this  
thespottedelf

Windows on a mac

Ok i'd like to put windows on my intel imac just for games, so i'll of corse be using boot camp. But i have no clue were to get it or anything. Was wondering if this would be a good one to get

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16832116056

I would be getting home edition cause all i will do is play games. Web browsing will be a big no no.

it stands for original equipment manufacturer. it just means that they wont ship you the retail box, most likely just the disc and thats it. but its the same software. the purpose of oem software is so that companies that sell the software with the computer dont have to pay for the full retail box. i believe according to the software license, it has to be purchased with hardware, so i believe what newegg does when they sell oem software is just throw a random thing in the box like a cable or plug or something. just to be legit. someone correct me if i'm wrong.

oh and you can find almost everything they sell in an oem version. i always buy oem hard drives. its the same drive, but it doesnt have the fancy box, its just a bubble-wrapped drive in a brown box.

it stands for original equipment manufacturer. it just means that they wont ship you the retail box, most likely just the disc and thats it. but its the same software. the purpose of oem software is so that companies that sell the software with the computer dont have to pay for the full retail box. i believe according to the software license, it has to be purchased with hardware, so i believe what newegg does when they sell oem software is just throw a random thing in the box like a cable or plug or something. just to be legit. someone correct me if i'm wrong.

oh and you can find almost everything they sell in an oem version. i always buy oem hard drives. its the same drive, but it doesnt have the fancy box, its just a bubble-wrapped drive in a brown box.

I never thought to get OEM hard drives. How does that affect the warranty? I think this could be pretty sweet, thanks.

@ thespottedelf that copy of windows will work just fine. If you are using the install for games you may want to consider Vista for DirectX 10, if your graphics card even supports DX 10. If you're just a casual gamer (which if you got a Mac you probably aren't a super hardcore gamer) then ignore DX 10 for now, it won't be a requirement for a while I'd imagine.

-Tom

OEM Hard Drives have the same warranty as retail ones. My western digital OEM drives have the same 3 year warranty, and my OEM Seagate drive has the same 5 year warranty. The only thing you dont get with a OEM drive is cables, the pretty box and booklets that no one reads.

Old games and hand-me-down games will run fine on XP and usually quite well in Parallels/VMWare/VirtualBox/etc.

Also, I've totally got to look into OEM hard drives. I have a box of cables I don't need and know where to get REALLY cheep cables. I'm really excited.

-Tom

Old games and hand-me-down games will run fine on XP and usually quite well in Parallels/VMWare/VirtualBox/etc.

-Tom

Hmm... i found that on parallels, games were realllllly reduced in quality! Would recommend Boot Camp!