Dayjob Dave

Reception differences - Mac to Mac

On my home wireless network, we have 4 Macs and a (ugh) Heathen Dell all connected at various times and places in the house. Why is the reception different from one Mac compared to another in the same location? In general my MacBook Pro has poorer reception (fewer Airport bars, slower) in the exact same physical location than my wife's Mac Book. Son's iMac seems to be better than any of the laptops. I guess all the antennas are different in size/orientation, but are there other factors? Is there anything software-wise that can improve any given computer's ability to connect wirelessly?

The Macbook Pro's case actually interferes some and degrades the signal, which is why the Macbook has better reception. For the iMac, probably a bigger antenna maybe or just more power put into it since they dont have to worry so much about how much energy is used compared to a laptop.

The Macbook Pro's case actually interferes some and degrades the signal, which is why the Macbook has better reception. For the iMac, probably a bigger antenna maybe or just more power put into it since they dont have to worry so much about how much energy is used compared to a laptop.

Yup, macbook pro's and powerbooks have worse reception that macbooks and ibooks. The plastic is better for reception.