neil_jo

Tige will not boot after 10.4.11 update

I'm running leopard, but did a clone of tiger using super duper just before I upgraded to leopard.

After learning of the new tiger software updates I booted to it and ran software update.

There where 4 updates of which the first 3 installed fine, but the mac osx 10.4.11 did not.

Now tiger will not boot it sticks on the grey screen with the spinning gear, and have to power off.

Was wondering if I can boot to the tiger install dvd and do an archive and install of tiger on my external

drive without screwing up leopard. Is that possible?

Thanks Neil

Edited by neil_jo

I think before going that route, you should try the boot again and just leave it on the grey screen for at least a few hours.

I think Adam mentioned something like this happening recently and it was a matter of waiting. I have had that happen on my G4 iMac for various updates.

Yes, I agree. Let your mac stay at the grey screen for awhile. I performed this upgrade as well with no problems. One thing I have done that has helped is, I've got verbose login turned on so I can see all the cryptic Unix text on the screen and get to see things happening there, rather than just getting to watch the static grey screen, not knowing if anything is going on or not.

Thanks I'll try leaving it on for an hour or so. I'd still like to keep my copy of tiger for a while.

And next time will forgo software update and download them directly for the apple support site.

This caused me an archive and install once before.

b4 i installed it i read that you are supposted to uninstall any third party apps or themes. So i uninstallined ape, shapeshifter, and put everything back to stock. everything went fine, with no hang.