Börkur Jónsson

Safari sometimes opens up a new browser window when I start a download.

On some websites, when I download a file a new a new browser window pops up and then the download starts leaving the new browser window empty and not much use except being annoying. Any tips on how to fix this?

I'm not sure, but I believe that's a function of the particular websites. I have the same thing happen and just close the window afterwards.

I think the HTML (or whatever is in play) automatically opens a new browser window, but since it's a download, there's nothing to display.

I guess you can't really do much about that. It means the web server hasn't been configured properly for that particular file type. Unfortunately, this happens a lot. The World Wide Web is a messy place.

Count your blessings, though, because I once visited a website, where PHP wasn't configured properly, so I saw the PHP source code, instead of the rendered HTML page.

Yeah, well I seem to remember reading somewhere there was a fix for this but I had no luck finding it earlier today. Maybe I'm wrong but i some1 know's otherwise please raise your hand ! :)