Nevis8

Things don't work

A mate called me over to take a look at his eMac - running 10.3

Strangely using Firefox he connects to the internet via Ethernet, but Safari will not, and neither iTunes store or Software Update will connect either.

Firewall is off.

I can't see any settings that might need changing - Any ideas ?

Thanks

Peter

Maybe check your proxy settings? Could be that the network settings are setup to go through a proxy, and since Firefox wouldnt use the system wide proxy settings, it would be able to. (or the reverse could be true)

The apps you list that can't access the internet are all Apple apps that use the Mac's global Proxy settings, while Firefox has its own proxy preference and ignores the Mac's global setting.

So, I'd suggest checking the eMac's Proxy settings. I don't have a 10.3 readily available, but I think you'll find it under Safari's Preferences on the Advanced pane.

(On Firefox it's under Preferences / Advanced pane / Network tab "how firefx connects to the internet" if you want to compare settings.)

The apps you list that can't access the internet are all Apple apps that use the Mac's global Proxy settings, while Firefox has its own proxy preference and ignores the Mac's global setting.

So, I'd suggest checking the eMac's Proxy settings. I don't have a 10.3 readily available, but I think you'll find it under Safari's Preferences on the Advanced pane.

(On Firefox it's under Preferences / Advanced pane / Network tab "how firefx connects to the internet" if you want to compare settings.)

Thanks guys - you were spot on. For some reason the FTP proxy was ticked - deselecting cured the problem. Not sure how it got selected in the first place - would there be some kind of renegade ap that would make this happen ?

Thanks again for your replies

Peter

Sometimes corruption in a preference file can select or deselect items. Often those just use a one bit switch for on or off of a certain variable. It's pretty easy for one bit to get flipped, they are just little magnets spinning at at least 4200 RPM, usually faster.

-Tom