minimejdh

Ways to convert VHS tapes to digital- DVD using an iMAC

I plan on switching from a PC to the iMac after the first of the year. One of the projects I would like to tackle is convering both home VHS-C tapes and commercial movie VHS tapes to DVDs.

I am discovering there may be a number of ways to do this- some involving the computer and others not. All would involve some outlay of money for equipment (VCR-DVR player; DVR player; EyeTV, other).

What experiences doing this have you had?

What approach to doing this would you recommend?

In the approach that you use- what are the advantages and downsides?

After the task is done is there any other use for the hardware/software you recommended?

How were you able to copy commercial VHS movie tapes if they are protected?

Thanks for your thoughts.

I plan on switching from a PC to the iMac after the first of the year. One of the projects I would like to tackle is convering both home VHS-C tapes and commercial movie VHS tapes to DVDs.

I am discovering there may be a number of ways to do this- some involving the computer and others not. All would involve some outlay of money for equipment (VCR-DVR player; DVR player; EyeTV, other).

What experiences doing this have you had?

What approach to doing this would you recommend?

In the approach that you use- what are the advantages and downsides?

After the task is done is there any other use for the hardware/software you recommended?

How were you able to copy commercial VHS movie tapes if they are protected?

Thanks for your thoughts.

I've been researching this also lately, and I really like the look of EyeTV. Basically what you need is an analog-to-digital converter. The EyeTV has this hardware, as well as the software to make it easy to use. I haven't tried this product yet, but I've heard a lot of good things about it, and hope to buy it in the near future.

I used my digital camcorder to copy from my VCR to the camcorder, then used my camcorder with iMovie to transfer them to the Mac. Not the best way probably but it worked and the quality is ok.

roog

I used my digital camcorder to copy from my VCR to the camcorder, then used my camcorder with iMovie to transfer them to the Mac. Not the best way probably but it worked and the quality is ok.

roog

Unfortunately, I don't have a digital camcorder. I have a VHS-C camcorder.

It looks like you have many choices, which I break down into two categories: do-it-yourself and send-it-for-service. I have never tried the later approach, so I cannot comment on it. As for DIY, I was in your situation and tried out many hardware converters, including my camcorder with disappointing results. Finally, I settled for two solutions, which you can read about it on my blog:

http://wuhrr.wordpress.com/2007/01/19/advc...-and-eyetv-250/

It looks like you have many choices, which I break down into two categories: do-it-yourself and send-it-for-service. I have never tried the later approach, so I cannot comment on it. As for DIY, I was in your situation and tried out many hardware converters, including my camcorder with disappointing results. Finally, I settled for two solutions, which you can read about it on my blog:

http://wuhrr.wordpress.com/2007/01/19/advc...-and-eyetv-250/

Thanks for your reply and link to your blog. (You have a nice site) I am curious what else you tried to end up with these choices to know what doesn't work so well. These hardware items are more pricey, for example, than buying an under $100 VHS-DVD Recorder (not updconverter) machine. Is the difference in quality that much better?

Also, can you copy commercial VHS movies (we have a ton). Or are they somehow protected for copyng. I would only be using it for my own use. I wanted to be able to convert our VHS movie library to DVD and not worry about havng a VHS tape player.

When you used Toast- could you have just used iDVD?

Before these two solutions, I have tried a couple of hardware/software combinations which I do not remember their names. Too bad, I should have recorded my research. I also purchased a first generation Sony DVDirect, which can record from analog to DVD. This is a nice drive, but it does not copy copyrighted VHS tapes. The advantage of the Sony drive is the ease of use: Just pop a blank disc in, hit play on your VCR, hit record on the Sony and have some long coffee break. The disadvantages include the editing process: if you want to edit out parts of the tapes, then you have to sit through the process, stop the recorder, fast-forward the tape, then record again. Plus, I had so many failed burns (more than 20 failed out of about 50 success burned). Besides, the first generation of DVDirect did not take DV input: Analog was the only source.

If you are interested in this solution, check it out at Sony's web site for the latest generation of this drive:

http://www.learningcenter.sony.us/assets/i...rners/dvdirect/

Be sure to do a little research to see if there is any worthy competitor.