goodapple

Firefox or Safari

Firefox or Safari  

55 members have voted

1. 1. Which one do you like best?

• Firefox
    • Safari

Vote which one is your favorite web browser for your everyday web surfing?

firefox.gif

1_safari_icon.png

Edited by goodapple

Although I prefer Safari, I use FireFox 2.0.0.9 for day-to-day surfing, because it's safer with the NoScript extension than a somewhat bare Safari 1.3.2.

I tend to use Safari the most. However, I recently started using Camino and like it quite a bit. To me both Safari and Camino are about the same (although Safari is much faster) while Firefox... oh.. poor Firefox... takes a pathetic 7-8 bounces in my dock to launch (Camino takes 3-4, while safari takes 1-2).

I do some freelance web design with the Adobe CS3 Suite and use a whole slew of browsers then... but Safari is by far my favorite (Camino is catching up tho!)

I tend to use Safari the most. However, I recently started using Camino and like it quite a bit. To me both Safari and Camino are about the same (although Safari is much faster) while Firefox... oh.. poor Firefox... takes a pathetic 7-8 bounces in my dock to launch (Camino takes 3-4, while safari takes 1-2).

I do some freelance web design with the Adobe CS3 Suite and use a whole slew of browsers then... but Safari is by far my favorite (Camino is catching up tho!)

I totally agree with the Firefox launching speed. I use Safari about 90% of the time then when I need to use Google Notebook then I will switch to Firefox.

Thats funny , after reading this I tried camino and find it starts the fastest.

And I love the way you can customize it.

Well, you can also customize your Firefox but that is pretty much the only good thing about it becaus e it does take a while for it to launch, unlike Safari, which is probably one of the faster web browsers out there. ;)

Edited by goodapple

what no one uses shiira? come on guys... ui wise its THE BEST there is... but it crashes alot... so its the newest safari (3.0.4?) for me

what no one uses shiira? come on guys... ui wise its THE BEST there is... but it crashes alot... so its the newest safari (3.0.4?) for me

I tried Shiira and liked it. But maybe you can tell me if this is true or not. If you do a google search will it show the top toolbar that lets you make image searches and links to other google apps?

I use both. Safari is my default browser, I use it for common surfing. I use Firefox when I need some of my addons or toolbars and for Google Apps. I keep Safari clean and install everything to Firefox. I've tried many other browsers, but I stuck with these two.

I tried Shiira and liked it. But maybe you can tell me if this is true or not. If you do a google search will it show the top toolbar that lets you make image searches and links to other google apps?

fullscreen-20071125-161629.jpg

I think thats what your talking about... i love it... but if you have too much going on it crashes for me... i couldn't d/l and browser with more then like 2 tabs :(

I LOVE the way it brought in my bookmarks and such. I really wish someone would finish it :sniff:

fullscreen-20071125-162220.jpg

fullscreen-20071125-162256.jpg

just some more screens of it... i love the browser... but its buggy :(

Edited by thespottedelf

This post begs for a story. A story that stretches from my begaining of Mac userdom to my current life.

At first I used safari non stop. At that time I also was trying out any and every mac web browser I could find. (If you don't believe me then look at my dock screenshots from winter of 2006 F-ing massive.) However, I just used safari. Then I heard of many prolems with safari, so I switched to firefox. I used Firefox until I found Mac Optimized versions of firefox which I used. Then I entered a period of using Safari, Flock, and FIrefox which insured that my bookmarks were never in sync. THen I switched back to firefox until Safari 3 came out. When it came out, I was a total firefox fanboy, if I saw someone using safari I would laugh. But I downloaded Safari 3 for shits and giggles, and used firefox some more. THen I got my iPohone and my copy of Leopard beta. On that copy of leopard, safari sung, not to mention that I could only get my safari bookmarks on my iPhone. Then I downgraded back to leopard and continued Safari use. Then I got my PowerBook G3, I decided to try camino on it and used it for a while until I came back to safari 3.

As I switched from Windows about 3 years ago, I was all for the whole Firefox movement. Unfortunately, Firefox on the Mac sucks. It just does. It feels like a horrible UI mess that was ported to OS X. I felt like I was using a program who's UI was the equivalent of a Macromedia app. So, I tried out Camino, but (maybe it's just me) it seemed to "lock up" and become unresponsive all the time. I was like "screw it" and I have been a avid fan of Safari ever since.

Besides, the actual rendering component of Safari (webkit) is open source too. Not to mention it is more standards compliant than Gecko's rendering.

The one thing I wish Safari had was a really good adblocker (like Adblock Plus and the Filterset Updater, because those 2 together rock).

fullscreen-20071125-161629.jpg

I think thats what your talking about... i love it... but if you have too much going on it crashes for me... i couldn't d/l and browser with more then like 2 tabs :(

I LOVE the way it brought in my bookmarks and such. I really wish someone would finish it :sniff:

just some more screens of it... i love the browser... but its buggy :(

That's exactly what I meant, thanks!

I use both, as well as Camino, but I use Firefox the most. It's extremely stable, renders everything correctly and is fast (including start up) on my G4 mini. Add the Grapple skin and it looks fantastic. I really like how the search bar will start to suggest things as you type. It's very fast, almost always guesses right and is a great time saver.

I used to use Firefox on both PC and Mac, but am using Safari more and more on the Mac.

FireFox seems really slow and clunky compared to Safari, but since I'm a web developer I regularly use all the major browsers (even some I'd rather burned in the firey pits of hell like IE 6).

I am starting to use Safari a lot now to and now it also works on PC's, so just about about everyone i know now who is on a PC, i have turned them over to using Safari, and they all love it too! ;)

i only ever use safari unless it isnt working

I voted Firefox as my favorite everyday browser, because I am on Flickr a lot and the scripts that I use with greasemonkey to manage groups that I moderate are priceless.

My practical ratings (1-10, 10 is best):

Safari

>Startup Speed = 10

>Browsing Speed = 10

>Customization = 3

>Ease of Use = 9

>Compatibility = 7

Firefox 3

>Startup Speed = 2

>Browsing Speed = 8

>Customization = 10

>Ease of Use = 7

>Compatibility = 9

Camino

>Startup Speed = 7

>Browsing Speed = 8

>Customization = 7

>Ease of Use = 8

>Compatibility = 9

Internet Explorer

>Startup Speed = 0

>Browsing Speed = 0

>Customization = 0

>Ease of Use = 0

>Compatibility = 0

Conclusion:

>Safari: Best for those who are new to computers or who want the fastest browser available

>Firefox 3: Best for power-users and those who want to get the most out of their browser, as well as for top-notch compatibility

>Camino: Best all-around balance: in essence, this is the middle of the road browser - it'll suit nearly everyone's needs

>Internet Explorer: NOOOOO! RUN!!!!!!!!