Bigpics

Saving sessions in Safari 3

Reviews and Apple's own help site indicate you can "revert to the tabs that were open when you last closed or quit Safari."

But this isn't working for me and I can't find any setting related to it in the preferences or Help.

Didn't know I was supposed to be able to do that with plain Safari now.

I've been using SAFT for that (and lots more) for a few years now.

Didn't know I was supposed to be able to do that with plain Safari now.

I've been using SAFT for that (and lots more) for a few years now.

Thanks! I'll look into this, but I would like to know the "stock method" if anyone does.

I've never tried any Safari plug-ins for some reason, though I've looked at some. It might just be me, but Firefox extensions seem to be easily understandable, specialized to do one thing well, and "just work" while the Safari variety seem much more techy/geeky/utility program type/do-20-things-I've-never-even-heard-of to get one new function I want. A former Windows wonk, I just want to use computers effectively for productivity and communication, not tinker endlessly any more. Which is why I switched to Macs.

Lack of session saving, the Cool Iris Previews, Customize Google, Googlepedia and a few other extensions in Safari still lean me toward FF, though I want to give it a chance. Lack of full GMail support's been the killer, though, even years after Google joined Apple's board. So even if I can save sessions and more extensions appear I'm still primarily Mozilla, memory hog that it is until GMail does everything it does in FireFox. But I had hopes for Safari 3 nonetheless.....

So when I fired up 3.0.4 I was pleased to see more of what I see in FF on GMail. Then I went to compose an email, started typing a name, and my correspondents no longer pop up, making the program virtually useless now!! All my groups are ad hoc, so to use GMail on Safari I'd have to memorize hundreds of email addresses or clumsily compose from Contacts.

Such a basic lack of compatibility with one of Apple's partners, the third-leading web net mail program (and rising), and the key internet biz in the world after years of time to get synced seems fairly inexcusable at this point.

Edited by Bigpics

History > Reopen All Windows From Last Session.
Outstanding. Simple as pie. Restores several multiple tab windows at once without extra prompting when closing Safari. Leaves any pages already running alone when invoked....

(I spent all my time in Preferences where the setting is in Firefox looking for this and when I didn't find it, or in help, assumed it wasn't (prominently) there. D'ohhhh.

So thanks!

Only things about that are that since it uses the history, if you clear it or went to those sites under private browsing, it will just load a bunch of empty pages when you restore.

And also it isnt really ideal for having a standard starting session with your favorite pages loading when you launch safari since its only what you last had open (if thats what your looking for then just opening what sites you want in tabs in the same window and go to Bookmarks > Add Bookmark for These X Tabs, and then put that on the bookmarks bar, then when you click that bookmark it opens all those tabs at once.) But for restoring from a crash its good.