Sign in to follow this  
goodapple

Does your school/work support Apple?

Does your work support Macs or Windows?  

24 members have voted

1. 1. Does your work?/school support:

• Macs
    • Windows

Ever since my school started, they have used Macs. In our computer lab, we have the old iMac G3/400 which are running on Tiger. Then we have oh, about 11 carts with 27 iBook G4s inside each one (also running Tiger) that can be checked out by the teacher when ever they want and have it in the classroom for as long as they need it. But at my school, almost nobody even new how to run them because they have never owned one or operated one!

So i was usually the one that would have to fix Microsoft Office when it broke or when the Internet was freaking out or something. But i have been rewarded for my help given. I'm pretty sure my school is still running with Macs too.

Does your school or work use Macs and use them for their main computer or do they think that Windows is the way to go? (not!)

Edited by goodapple

It's funny, I work in the computer sales and repair business and the company chooses PCs for everything. The POS system, our computers to use to look up stuff, we even were given a Vista box for compatibility with any Vista PCs that come in for repair. However, almost all of us that work there use Macs. Most of us do have PCs for gaming, but day to day, it's all about the Mac.

As a side note my school used Macs until my junior year of high school, and my college supored both and had a fair number of Macs in the computer lab that were always kept current, that's where I used my first intel iMac. Though to be totally accurate my elementary school used Apple ][e machines, not Macs.

-Tom

Both. I work for out IT department and support both Macs and PCs. It's about a 50/50 split.

Ha, you have to be kidding. We have a few macs that a couple of of geek about on, but they're not used for anything other than self chosen projects that need one (which to be honest, if you don't have a mac yourself why would you want to write an app in objective c?).

no my school uses "dell".... it takes 10 minuets just to open up "word"..... i wish they did :wacko:

The designers work on macs where I work and there is one or two mac techs. The main problem is you can't call the mac techs directly and level one support doesn't know anything about macs. It's a pain but they finally gave me administrator rights and these days I rarely have to deal with them.

I work in the design department of an architecture office. Out of 300 some employees at my company we only have 4 macs and currently only 2 of them are active. Of course, one is mine which they will have to pry out of my cold dead hands. Tech support is nearly non-existant and I handle most issues myself. 95% of our problems are related to network issues (windows servers, printing, etc) with font issues generally making up the difference. I try not to "bother" the IT department because the more I lay low, the less likely they'll be to just set me up with a "nice new dell".

It's interesting that more architects don't embrace the mac. I mean architecture is an artform and we all know how much more the mac caters to the creative community. The biggest problem seems to be that the #1 CAD software is PC only.

My school got a load of acer pc's a few years ago. They are rubbish. 1GB Ram, 72GB hard drive etc. all running XP.

I wish we had iMacs, so much better. The only problem is.. a lot of programs you need for GCSE IT etc. you cant run on a mac without using Parallels / bootcamp etc.

At my old highschool they got rid of the "computer room" and gave every student a macbook. The whole school is now wireless and students can take their computers home to work on homework and personal stuff as well.

What a great way to convert a whole school at once!

My business uses Macs exclusively ( Moving Company ). However, Since I am half owner and run all the IT stuff ....

Dell, unfortunately. Although our TV studio uses Macs - they're the only computers don't have any problems. At any one time, three or four of the 25 or so (brand new!) Dells in the main lab alone are down. They're fixed within a few days, but by that time even more have gone down. Most unreliable PCs (Pieces of Crap) I've ever seen!

My school uses crappy windows they said it was too much money to make a switch and they use the crappiest dells ever they're so slow the only macs on campus our for video and yearbook they only got them because they're fast which is dumb <_<

I thought it was quite amusing that the majority of the school computers run on Windows XP... YET! In the art rooms we use Macs! The old iMacs (without the black border) running tiger. Though they are connected to the network and you can log into your account.

Several colleges that all say they run "Only the latest and greatest computer hardware and software" all run XP, not Vista. Hmm... I wonder why... :lol:

<end anti-Vista propaganda>

Also, research says that 40% of college students who plan to buy a computer in the near future are planning on buying Macs. Move over, Dell!

morgan-stanley-080426.gif

Edited by macfan777

My school uses Dells and they are really annoying. They used to have Macs though.