alanchiras

PDF file on Iphone?

I'm still somewhat confused about if you can mail yourself something and keep the PDF in a file that can be accessed without an internet connection. Thanks! Alan Chiras.

As long as you keep that email in your inbox or another mailbox (like Saved Items, etc) then you can view it anytime you like. I would mail it to a mail account that you access via POP, that way it can be downloaded and kept instead of an IMAP account that would match what you do with it in a different mail client.

roog

Once you've downloaded the file to your phone it stays there and doesn't need an internet connection to read it.

How do you download a file to the phone's memory ?

It's downloaded as an email attachment.

Yeah, but where are you "saving" the attachment to ?

I should try this for myself so I really know what I'm talking about.

My understanding of the thread is that when you download the email message to your iPhone the attachment comes with it. Therefore, you're not really saving it to anywhere, it just stays attached to the email and is read in the Mail.app on the iPhone.

I'll try it and make sure.

Yep, it works.

I sent myself a PDF attached to an email. I saved the message with the attachment to a folder other than the Inbox and it's still there when I'm in Airplane Mode.

Yep, it works.

I sent myself a PDF attached to an email. I saved the message with the attachment to a folder other than the Inbox and it's still there when I'm in Airplane Mode.

Can you explain how files and folders work on the iPhone in more detail? I sent the PDF to AOL and tried to save it, but it still seemed to need to connect to the internet.

With sending it to google, it tries to load it and crashes back to the desktop on the phone.

Thanks! Alan Chiras.

I have a webmail folder set up in my .Mac account and that's where I saved it.

I sent one to my Gmail account and it did downloaded and displayed fine. I don't know how to make sure an email is retained by gmail but I think it stays until one deletes it from the Gmail server.

Did you have a WiFi connection when Mail crashed on your iPhone? I've found that both Safari and Mail occasionally crash back to the 'desktop' when using EDGE.

I have a webmail folder set up in my .Mac account and that's where I saved it.

I sent one to my Gmail account and it did downloaded and displayed fine. I don't know how to make sure an email is retained by gmail but I think it stays until one deletes it from the Gmail server.

Did you have a WiFi connection when Mail crashed on your iPhone? I've found that both Safari and Mail occasionally crash back to the 'desktop' when using EDGE.

I just tried it with gmail and it was on Wi-Fi when it crashed back to the desktop. Could the PDF for the users manual be too big for the gmail software on the iPhone??

Thanks! Alan Chiras.

On AOL, I get a message that says "You must disable airplane mode to access data." with choices of Cancel or Disable

Alan Chiras.

I think we need someone else's help here.

I haven't gone anywhere near AOL for years and clearly don't know enough about GMail to answer the question.

Sorry, all I know for sure is it works for me but I don't know why.