jchiar

Tivotogo eyetv questions

How good is the quality to Tivo to go?

Adam, any thoughts?

Ive been contemplating of purhasing a Tivo unit or eyeTv product.

I DONT want to watch TV on my iMac, i want to be able to stream the content to an apple TV and or ipod.

What are the quams of using Tivotogo&Toast versus Eyetv?

Do they kill the video resolution or is it still Hidef after the transfer?

Any help is great.

(I currently have a Series 2 directivo and have contemplated "upgrading it" but have tried this yet either.)

Edited by jchiar

(I currently have a Series 2 directivo and have contemplated "upgrading it" but have tried this yet either.)

Is there a DirecTV Tivo that supports Tivo2Go ? Boy, I'd like one of those.

I have a Series 2 DirecTV Tivo, and I didn't know there was an upgrade available to combine Tivo2Go with DirecTV.

I have an eyeTV as well (the cheaper 250, I think), and I'm not that impressed with it's video quality. (My older Formac Studio produces much better quality pictures, because it delivers DV directly to the Mac via Firewire, while my USB2 eyeTV insists on compressing. The Formac means huge files, but nice pictures.) As for the EyeTV software, it can do the DVR thing, but you'll need to find a IR blaster dongle (something to simulate the DirecTV or cable box's remote control so your Mac can change the channel) if you plan to use it as an actual DVR for anything except off-the-air-via-antenna programming. And, since the EyeTV software doesn't have built-in support for an IRblaster, that means 3rd-party software that needs to be synchronized with the EyeTV.

Personally, I prefer letting my Tivo do the DVR thing (which it does superbly) and using my Mac for what it's good at, rather than turning it into sad Tivo wanna-be.