madmac

Networking for Macs - PLEASE HELP

Hello Everyone,

I have a bit of a problem on my hands; I have been trying to successfully set up a dependable network for at least 3 years now. I use Time Warner's Road Runner high-speed cable for my connection. I started out using one of their modems with a Linksys router. After a while the router started cutting out frequently. Then the modem also began having problems. Time Warner came and replaced their modem and we got a new Belkin router. The router still works like a charm, although I sold it to a friend when I bought a Linksys Wireless-G Cable Gateway after the second Time Warner modem failed. Now this thing is starting to cut out.

Honestly, this isn't all in my mind, I have stumped everyone from Road Runner techies, both on site and on the phone, to Linksys support, to pretty much anywhere else I've gone. This is the deal; I've got three Macs, one is a server that is always on and is always connected via Ethernet, the others are a laptop and a Mac mini that are used on and off, sometimes quite heavily. All I want is a network that will work with these three plus the occasional PC. I don't want fancy features, I just want high-speed and dependable. If anyone has any suggestions for a good manufacturer of networking equipment, please let me know. Thanks.

Hello Everyone,

I have a bit of a problem on my hands; I have been trying to successfully set up a dependable network for at least 3 years now. I use Time Warner's Road Runner high-speed cable for my connection. I started out using one of their modems with a Linksys router. After a while the router started cutting out frequently. Then the modem also began having problems. Time Warner came and replaced their modem and we got a new Belkin router. The router still works like a charm, although I sold it to a friend when I bought a Linksys Wireless-G Cable Gateway after the second Time Warner modem failed. Now this thing is starting to cut out.

Honestly, this isn't all in my mind, I have stumped everyone from Road Runner techies, both on site and on the phone, to Linksys support, to pretty much anywhere else I've gone. This is the deal; I've got three Macs, one is a server that is always on and is always connected via Ethernet, the others are a laptop and a Mac mini that are used on and off, sometimes quite heavily. All I want is a network that will work with these three plus the occasional PC. I don't want fancy features, I just want high-speed and dependable. If anyone has any suggestions for a good manufacturer of networking equipment, please let me know. Thanks.

What it sounds like to me is that Time Warner is sending too intense of a signal to your cable modem. I will not say that the router probably died due to age/being linksys. I've replaced 2 cable modems using commucast due to it slowing to a crawl. One way to test to see if it the router is to directly plug the cable modem into your computer and see if that makes any difference. If it is still slow, it's the cable modem.

Your best bet would be to have 2 separate devices. Cable modem and router. As for the cable modems, I like the D-Link DCM 202. It's Docsis 2.0 compatible. As for router, I Haven't had a single issue with my Apple Airport Extreme. If you feel like being geeky, there's always using a small embedded box with smoothwall or m0n0wall on it. (I'm already doing that at my 'rents house). But if you want a cheaper hardware router without being geeky, either D-Link or Netgear are my suggestions.

So you used two Linksys products and had problems but one Belkin unit and it was great? Doesn't seem like it's hard to make a suggestion. I also use Belkin. As far as the modem I always choose to lease from the cable company because then it's there problem. You can make them come replace when needed and they can't blame the modem and say it's not supported if there is a problem.

Edited by joshr

Thanks to everyone who responded. Webguy, great points, I may look into a separate cable modem/router configuration. Joshr, also a very valid point, the problem is I really enjoy the extra 6 Mbps that the third party modem gets me (I forgot to mention that part) so I'm really not inclined to lease again. However, since Belkin to my knowledge doesn't make modems, I may use a D-Link router with a Belkin router. Thanks one again to both of you for weighing in on the issue, your suggestions have helped.

What's this about getting an extra 6 Mbps with a 3rd party modem? I'm also on Road Runner and if I could get extra speed by picking up a third party router I'd do it in a second. Did you tweak your modem or does is it simply a better modem than Time Warner's? Any info you could give me about that would be awesome.

-Tom

Almighty_spork, I did not do anything special, I just installed the new modem and boom! I ran the same speed test that used to consistently run at 3Mbps on my Time Warner modem, and it came out at 9Mbps. That is just download, upload speed also trippled. I can't say I've had the best luck with it, but the Linksys Wireless-G Cable Gateway is nothing if not fast.