CELICA XX

Unable to purchase a ringtone

When I click on the ringtone bell within iTunes, I get this error message...

I am using iTunes 7.5 and OS X 10.4.11

ringtone_error.jpg

Does your internet connection work in other applications at the time?

Yes, there is an active internet connection.

Safari works fine, as does the rest of the iTunes music store.

Edited by CELICA XX

My Itunes does the same, Internet connection is fine, and I have a non-unlocked 1.1.2 version.

Itunes 7.5 & OS 10.5

Been happening since I got it.

Edited by doyleoliver

Well in the UK you can't buy ringtones yet. Which is why I got iToner - $15 and I'll never have to pay for a ringtone again.

This is what pisses me off, Itunes is great and the US have all the options open (movies & ringtones) here in the UK we get to sit here and look at the icons for ages before we can use them!

Well there's no way I'm paying for a crappy 640x480 movie when I can probably buy the DVD for less and then rip it at the quality I want. Same with ringtones. I've already paid for the songs, why the hell can't I use them as ringtones for free? It's not like the iPhone couldn't play them anyway.

*rant over*

Just a guess, but is your phone unlocked and in use with a carrier other than AT&T?

Well this is really an iTunes issue, not a phone issue.

But it's an ATT phone... not cracked, hacked, or anything.

Is your iTunes account information correct?

I bought one just so I could play with the interface.

It's not to bad but not much easier than doing it myself with QT Pro.

I bought one just so I could play with the interface.

It's not to bad but not much easier than doing it myself with QT Pro.

Really? Doesn't sound like the simplicity Apple has built its brand around.

What are the challenges, other than the legalities?

Well if you already own the song legally I don't really think there's any legal problems. You're not distributing it and you're putting it on a device that can already play it.

Anyway, all you need to do is open the song in QT Pro, adjust the editing sliders to mark the in and out points and then save it as an mp3 or aac somewhere. Then you open up iToner, drag the file you made onto it and click sync. It's pretty damn easy really. And you can make all the ringtones you want forever. Bear in mind that software updates on the iPhone might break iToner, but the guys who write it always work their hardest to get it working with each update.

Well if you already own the song legally I don't really think there's any legal problems. You're not distributing it and you're putting it on a device that can already play it.

On the surface that seems it would be the case. But, here in the US, the RIAA, among other corporate pirates, there appears to be some difference of opinion about what you own when you buy music. There's also debate about how you can use content you purchase. And our federal government is still trying to determine what kind exactly an iPod is.

Edited by mobilexile

There may be a difference of opinion, but I can't see the RIAA suing over someone making/using a ringtone made from a legally purchased, unprotected song.

And, the ITMS way isn't at all difficult, but, it does cost $.99 and only works on some songs.

There may be a difference of opinion, but I can't see the RIAA suing over someone making/using a ringtone made from a legally purchased, unprotected song.

And, the ITMS way isn't at all difficult, but, it does cost $.99 and only works on some songs.

For sake of clarity, here's the opinion of a lawyer with Engadget.

IMHO, the federal government should put this crap to rest. If I buy a CD / MP3 / DVD I should be able to make and use copies of it in its entirety so long as it's for personal use -- whether it was a download or a physical method of purchase (CD / DVD).

Edited by mobilexile

I have to wondewr why people are willing to pay for ringtones. It's insultingly simple to make your own.

I wouldn't call it "insultingly" easy. There are people out there with no audio editing (or any kind of media editing) experience or skills at all. All many people want is a one click solution to download and install ringtones.

Apple would clean up selling pre-made :30 sec ringtones, just like tunes.

That being said, there's now a ringtone export included with the latest update of GarageBand, specifically so people can make their own ringtones. I haven't tried it yet, but I'm sure it gives much more flexibility than creating something in QT pro (which not everyone has either).

Yeah, I dont want to use any 3rd party apps like iToner or anything.

I am trying to use the setup which apple has created.

Well I'm not sure if it's something I did but all the ringtones I made in GarageBand sounded like crap. I'm sticking with iToner until apple sorts out a half decent implementation

Yeah, I dont want to use any 3rd party apps like iToner or anything.

I am trying to use the setup which apple has created.

That's where the fork in the road hits. I own several thousand songs. As in, I bought them, not heisted them from some torrent. I resent having to pay for a clip of anything I've already paid for.

Not suggesting this is what you're doing, just giving my rationale for my deeds.

One other thing: If you want to use your protected iTunes songs as a ringtone and not pay for it twice you're going to have to use iToner since I don't see a way to make GarageBand let you edit them.

I don't see a way to make GarageBand let you edit them.

I always burn them to CD as a backup. There's a slight loss in quality but one could then rip a song back into iTunes and edit that copy.

Has anyone been able to make a ringer through iTunes yet ?

Still not working for me...