Sign in to follow this  
adamf

Interview at Apple Retail Store

So, I have an interview at an Apple Store this weekend. I'm all freaked out and nervous. I'll probably end up walking in, freezing up, and doing the Wayne's World "I'm not worthy" thing.

That means I need to prepare and get my wits about me. So my questions are for people who have worked at or interviewed at the Apple Store before. What kinds of questions might they ask? What kinds of things do they look for? Any other advice?

And if you have any general interviewing tips not directly related to the Apple Store, I'd be glad to hear those too.

Thanks for your help guys.

oooh, I'd be interested in this too. I was thinking about applying at the Apple Store for work during the next school year, but I didn't know what really seperated me from all the other mac geeks out there...

I just came across a good article regarding getting hired at the Apple Store:

http://www.ifoapplestore.com/stores/hiring.html

Although the store I'm applying for is a smaller store in a smaller city, so I hope this improves my chances.

But if anyone here has any first-hand experience, I'd love to hear it.

Okay, I wanted to follow up and let you know how the interview went if anyone was interested.

I met with the assistant manager who was a really nice guy. Our interview was held on a bench in the mall corridor, it was very relaxed. As we walked to the bench, he asked me why I wanted to work at Apple. I told him how I wanted to work in retail again, that the Apple Store seemed like a great environment, and that I had become a big fan of Apple products since I bought my iBook in December.

We arrived at the bench, and I was the assistant manager's first interview in a long while so he took a moment to prepare. We first discussed my availability, which is a bit limited since I'm in college and the Apple Store is about a 45-minute drive from my university. I'm available on weekends and some evenings, which he seemed to think was exactly what they needed.

The interview questions were great, they all had to do with examples from past work/school situations. One was "Have you ever been in a situation where you had to stay caught up on the latest and greatest?", and there were questions about dealing with customers and stuff like that. In my opinion the interview went very well.

After he was through with his questions, he asked if I had any for him. I asked what his favorite thing was about working at the Apple Store. He talked about helping people, the good team environment, the great products, and we carried on about a ten minute conversation about this. I think this helped us establish a rapport that was less formal than the interview, so that may help.

When the interview was over, I filled out some forms that will allow for a background check. We then walked back to the store, and he told me I would *definitely* have a second interview with the manager and he gave me his cell phone number for if I had any questions. Very good signs, in my opinion.

About a week later, he called me to verify my email because I would be getting a form from a background check company. I filled it out online, and assuming I pass the screening I can expect to set up my second interview sometime in the next week.

So things are looking pretty good I'd say. Let me know if you guys have any other questions about the interview and stuff!

just curious, but if anyone knows how old do you have to be to work there? 16? 18?

thanks

just curious, but if anyone knows how old do you have to be to work there? 16? 18?

My guess would be 18... there is a question on the application asking if you're over 18.

Thought I'd update you all again.

I had my second interview three days ago with the manager. It was a very relaxed back-and-forth conversation and it was really a lot of fun.

My general impression is that whole interview process was mainly trying to figure out the applicant's demeanor and character and whether you're an "Apple-type" who will fit in with the team.

So today I got a call and was told I'd receive an offer around the middle of next week, either by phone or mail or email. Presumably the offer will be for either a seasonal or part-time position, although they said people can start out as seasonal and then continue on as part-time.

So, I guess this means I have a job at the Apple Store if I want it. It's about a 40 mile drive for me, so I'm a little hesitant, but I'm 90% sure I'll take it.

I still can't believe it myself.

First of all congratulations on your offer. I am just wondering what the perks are for working in an Apple Store. A 40 mile commute for part-time work sounds too far.

First of all congratulations on your offer.  I am just wondering what the perks are for working in an Apple Store.  A 40 mile commute for part-time work sounds too far.

Thanks.

Truth is, it is too far. But the perk is working for Apple.

I've read online that once a year you can get 25% off a complete system, and you also get quarterly bonuses if your store meets its goals, which is $500 for part time employees.

So those things sound nice, but really I just want to work at the Apple Store. I'll probably only work weekends, maybe one day during the week... but if it proves to be too much driving at least I will have the satisfaction of finishing the interviews and getting hired at Apple. And I'll also have my foot in the door if I want to return some day once it's not such a long drive.

$500 bonus going to pay for your Gas bill.

Sorry... I can't resist. and hey... congratz and you get your foot at the door so the drive is still worth it.

:wink:

$500 bonus going to pay for your Gas bill.  

:wink:

Oh man, I know... and I'm so conservative with my driving these days. Using up gas makes me sick. Plus it's so much easier to ride the bus and walk. But I'm just such a sucker for Apple. They make me do crazy things.

Here's the latest and last update regarding the hiring process.

Today I got a call and was offered a job.

They've decided that all their current hires will start off as seasonal... which is a temporary, part-time position lasting for 3 months during the holiday quarter. They've decided to do this rather than hire people directly to part-time so that they can get a better feel for who's gonna work out and who isn't. Once the 3 months is up, some of the seasonal people will be asked to continue on as part-time.

So I've officially been hired. My tentative starting date is October 8th.

Congratulations! I think you'll like this job, because at least you will be selling products you believe in, so you'll feel committed to the job.

Best of luck.

Congratz Adam. And I got a mission for you. identify the person in the Genius Bar who is an expert on cross platform configuration. I still want that share printer issue resolve.

Just wanted to say thanks to Allizard, Byte-size, The Professor, and dino for all their good wishes and congratulations. I very much appreciate the kind comments.

And I'll keep an eye out for the cross-platform whiz. :wink:

Envy!!!!

I assume you get to keep all the T-shirts that they make you wear (oh, such torture I'm sure) :D

Congratulations on the job by the way!

I have been thinking about getting a part time job there. I would love to work there! Even though the closest one is about 40 minutes away as well I think it would be fun working and talking about what I love.

Although ever notice there aren't too many women working at the apple stores? hmmm.

They've decided that all their current hires will start off as seasonal... which is a temporary, part-time position lasting for 3 months during the holiday quarter. They've decided to do this rather than hire people directly to part-time so that they can get a better feel for who's gonna work out and who isn't. Once the 3 months is up, some of the seasonal people will be asked to continue on as part-time.

It was asked above but how old do you have to be to work at apple?

It was asked above but how old do you have to be to work at apple? If you don't know could you ask someone else who works there?