sttrek341

power converter with surge protector

next February i am headed over seas to africa and is wondering if anyone knows of a product that converts the africa plug into a US plug that also has a surge protector. the power were i am traveling fluctuates a lot and can give off surges that have damaged my devices. this happened to my power supply for my camera last time rendering it useless for the rest of the trip.

I don't know of a device that you describe myself. You might want to check out APC. I have two of their UPS/Surge Protectors that work very well.

next February i am headed over seas to africa and is wondering if anyone knows of a product that converts the africa plug into a US plug that also has a surge protector. the power were i am traveling fluctuates a lot and can give off surges that have damaged my devices. this happened to my power supply for my camera last time rendering it useless for the rest of the trip.

For surge protection my preference is http://brickwall.com/index.htm. These are heavy duty professional surge protectors. They do not cost $20 but considering the gear you are protection they are worth the price. The problem is they are very heavy so if you are just visiting they are not worth bringing. The cheap ones do not work. For computers, the power convertors convert AC to DC and that will help. I have found articles in wikipedia. Go to

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Power_plugs for all the info you should need.