RailRider

Assigning MPAA ratings

Does anyone know of a utility that will allow me to add MPAA rating to movies that I have converted and then added to iTunes? I know this is possible someway, as Apple marks the movies it sells on the iTunes stores. I know it can't be done in iTunes. I've looked around and haven't been able to find any info on this.

Does anyone know of a utility that will allow me to add MPAA rating to movies that I have converted and then added to iTunes? I know this is possible someway, as Apple marks the movies it sells on the iTunes stores. I know it can't be done in iTunes. I've looked around and haven't been able to find any info on this.

You could look at this utility. From the screen shot it appears that you might be able to add the tags you are looking for.

You could look at this utility. From the screen shot it appears that you might be able to add the tags you are looking for.

Excellent! I will give it a try and let you know if it works. Thanks!

Jesse,

Lostify does exactly what I need it to do. The only bummer is that it needs to completely rewrite each file to add the tag. It'll take a little while to get all my movies tagged with the rating, but I can deal with that. Thanks again!

Butch

Jesse,

Lostify does exactly what I need it to do. The only bummer is that it needs to completely rewrite each file to add the tag. It'll take a little while to get all my movies tagged with the rating, but I can deal with that. Thanks again!

Butch

I was kind of bummed about that too. Although once you have written the tags you need you won't have to do it again... it is a bit of a tradeoff but until someone writes something that doesn't require a rewrite of the movie file I guess this will have to do.

Last night I discovered another downfall: now when I add artwork to a file that has already been tagged with the MPAA rating with Lostify, the file again has to be rewritten completely. At first I thought iTunes was crashing, as clicking on it in the dock showed "Application not responding." I force quit a few times and destroyed the movie file in the process. Later, I decided to wait as I could tell the hard drive was working away. Eventually, the artwork was added and the file was fine. I suggest adding all your artwork before using Lostify to add the rating.

Sounds like a lot of time/work.

Why not just use one of the easy-accessible tags that is already there, like Grouping?

Why not just use one of the easy-accessible tags that is already there, like Grouping?

At first I just created a Genre for each rating, but then I noticed that the iTunes store videos had this tag with the logo and all. I just think it looks more professional and correct, and I'm kind of an organization freak! This tag also now properly appears in Front Row and on my iPod touch. Anyway, all my currently encoded videos are now done, so it's just a case of doing any new ones. The hard part is over.

Gotcha.

I remember when I really wanted everything organized. I'm still somewhat of an efficiency freak but I just don't have the time or energy anymore.

Good for you!

For my part, I'd like a way of easily adding ratings so that i can control what my kids have access to on our AppleTV. They should be able to access The Wiggles anytime they like without the risk of either of them having a peak at the Sopranos.