scoates

iPod Touch unreliable?

I'm just about to return my third iPod Touch. The first had the well documented screen problem. The second had an intermittently unresponsive touch screen, and the sleep/wake button stopped working altogether. The third one won't sync more than a few tracks without failing, and now a problem has developed with the audio output - where you only hear 'part' of the soundtrack. This last problem is a weird one - it's almost like you are only hearing a couple of tracks from a multitrack recording, for instance, you can hear drums and backing vocals, but the main vocals are not audible. On a spoken podcast, sound effects can be heard, but there is no speech. This only seems to affect the headphone output - the dock output sounds fine. I've tried different earphones, but that makes no difference.

I don't know if I've just been unlucky, or are many Touch owners seeing a lot of problems. The only saving grace is that the Apple returns service is second to none, and I get a replacement within three working days.

Mine's been great so far. No dead pixels, no sync problems and the touch screen works great. I have seen other cases like yours where the same person has had to return multiple touches until they finally got a good one. I'm guessing there are more reliability problems with this model than with previous iPods, but it's really hard to judge based on message boards alone.

I don't believe buying it early should be a problem. I pre ordered it from the Apple website in September and got it on October 22nd. I use it daily and have had no problems whatsoever.

Sorry to hear about yours, but mine has been working great. Absolutely no problems whatsoever.

I got my (number 4) replacement back on Monday, and it seems fine in every respect. I'll keep my fingers crossed that it stays that way, as I really like it and use it a lot - mainly as a portable web browser around the house, rather than as an iPod. I still prefer my shuffle (for podcasts) and 5th Gen for music/games when I'm out and about.