heydru

Flash and the iPhone

Regarding Adam's speculation the Adobe and Apple need to reach some sort of agreement to get the Flash Player on the iPhone, the issue isn't so much legalities. No one seems to know for sure (except, I suppose, Apple), but the reigning wisdom is that the Flash Player is processor intensive, that is, battery-draining. So rather than suck the life out of your iPhone, Apple probably made the better decision and just didn't support it. If I had an iPhone, I think my surfing would be "the necessities:" gmail, weather, etc. I'm having trouble justifying the need for Flash.* Sure, would be nice, but not essential.

Having said that, do a quick Google search on "Flash and the iPhone" and the top of the list will we reports of the iPhone supporting the Flash Player before long. All speculation, and these articles all date back to the time of the iPhone's original release, but interesting nonetheless.

* Note that my profession is Flash Developer.

I've heard another theory than the legal issues theory.

It seems the Flash is a power hog, which means the processor in the iPhone would hit 100 % all the time when Flash contents is in context. I'm sure if this was the consideration, Adobe is busy to improve Flash to run on the iPhone more efficiently.

It is as good an explanation as any other, because we don't know why Apple didn't include Flash in the iPhone.

Edited by Ignoracious

I'm personally glad that flash isn't n the iPhone. When my laptop was stolen, my iPhone was my primary browsing device at home and I only missed flash when I was using flickr. Apart from video / animation flash is dead. There's very little that can't be done with JS / DOM nowadays.

Agreed. But there are a few sites that use flash and only flash. For now, flash should be dead.