statik

Multiple users sharing the same iPhoto library?

I've just purchased a macbook pro with leopard, and have 2 users on it. Mine is the admin account and my wife is a secondary account. We have all our photos under her account. Is there a way I can access them from mine?

Thanks

in an iphoto support article, i read that there are two ways to do this. if you have an external hard drive, you can move the library there. you should find the library file in the pictures folder. the library file contains all the photos (in iphoto 08, and it sounds like thats what you have).

if you dont have an external drive, you can create a disk image in disk utility and put the iphoto library in there.

when you launch iphoto, hold down the Option key and browse to the new location of the library file. you only have to do this once.

note: only one user can use the library at a time, so you'll need to quit iphoto before switching users.

the support article can be found here.

Thanks, worked out nicely.

Another question. Is there a way to make the sparse image disk to be hidden on the desktop? Not a big deal but would be nice.

Open up the Finder Preferences and deselect CDs, DVDs and iPods. Obviously this will stop all of them appearing on the desktop, but it will achieve what you want. I don't think there is anyway to do this on a disk by disk basis (although I could be wrong).

20071229-cypm3mgxctbakybm4iq6ibstap.jpg

I've just purchased a macbook pro with leopard, and have 2 users on it. Mine is the admin account and my wife is a secondary account. We have all our photos under her account. Is there a way I can access them from mine?

Thanks

Yes the two ways already suggested will work for sharing photo lib. but I do it a different way. I have granted permission to use the iphoto folder to the other user. Then when they start up iphoto hold the option key at the same time and select the Library. I think this is easier then creating an image.

Another tip if you don't want to hide all the drives is to instead give the drive a nice icon.

I have a temp folder on my desktop that I use to hold files I'm working on at the time. So to make it less ugly I've given it a fun icon I found at pixelgirlpresents (or it may have been at iconfactory). It may not be hidden then but at least it isn't an ugly disk icon ;)

I am back and this worked great for a long time but now it seems I've used up all the space I set for the disk image.

When I click on the photos in my Library and select all, it says that it is 6.5 GB, but when I click on the iPhoto library in the finder, it says that it is 14.98 GB.

Am I missing something? Are there other photos in my library that don't show up in the photos section?

Thanks for any help.

Whenever you make an edit a duplicate is made, so you can revert the changes, hence it taking up twice the amount of space.

I have only edited about 5 or 6 pictures. That doesn't explain why it is more than twice the size. If it was a gig or 2 bigger I would understand but it's 8.5 GB of memory that I can't account for. Someone help me please.

Thanks

Edited by statik

Have you rotated any? That makes a double too. Doing absolutely anything other than importing them and leaving them alone makes a duplicate.

That makes more sense. Is there anyway to delete the original photos? I don't need a copy of a picture on it's side and one the correct way.

Seems like an awful lot of wasted space.

There have been discussions on deleting those elsewhere on these forums not too long ago. I can't remember what the outcome was.

I made a new larger disk image.

Ok I've got two more questions:

First, what is the difference between a disk image and a sparse disk image?

Second, how do I delete the original sparse disk image I had?

Thanks

A regular disk image will allocated all the space you set, so a 100mb disk image will take up 100mb of space regardless of what is in it. A spare image will only use the space it needs for the files it contains.

To delete a disk image, unmount it and then trash it.

Going along with the discussion on library sharing, I recently set up my computer to share my iphoto library between users. My account, where the iphoto library is stored, and the other account to share the library are NOT admin accounts. I have a separate admin account for making changes and such when I need to.

I was able to give permissions to "Pictures" folder and then to the iPhoto library itself without any problems. Currently both accounts can access the iphoto library and make changes to it, etc etc.

The only catch is if I make a change,edit, import, or anything in iPhoto as User 1, quit iPhoto, log into User 2 and start up iPhoto, it has a permissions error.

iPhoto asks me if it can repair the permissions of the iphoto library before starting up. When I ok this and enter in an admin name/password, iphoto does a little dance updating permissions, then starts up and works just fine.

My question is, is there a way to prevent this permissions error from popping up everytime, or do I have to jump through this hoop each time I start up iphoto?

I want to avoid moving the iphoto library to a central location or external HD as I like where everything is right now. Thanks

Jason

I dont think that anybody has mentioned this yet so I will here. Take the master iPhoto library and move it to the Public folder for the admin user of the house. Reset the permissions for that file to allow full read and write access to everybody, wheel, and admins, etc. Once the file is moved there start up iPhoto by holding down the option key and pointing to the file that is in the public folder of the admin account. Do this for other users on the same computer or other computers that are within the household. Being wired to the network via cat 5e or N wireless protocol will yield better results when looking and editing photos that are on a separate computer or NAS drive (network attached storage, such as a USB external hanging off of a Time Capsule or Extreme base station) You will never have to mess with disk images or anything complicated like that. Take a listen to Adam Christianson's MacCast podcast. One of the latest shows he discusses how to do just this.

BC

To delete a disk image, unmount it and then trash it.

Where is the disk image located one you unmount it?

I deleted it from my disk utilities but it continues to mount every time I restart.

Now it doesn't show up in disk utilities.

Nevermind I'm an idiot, I found it in the shared folder.