buckdog

Macs last so long!

I have a G3 iMac from 2000/2001 that still runs perfectly. I have it on the desk where I study, and it stays on all of the time in sleep mode. Sleeping works so well on the mac, while it is complete crap on windows. I can hit the power button and get to Google in a matter of seconds, while on my Dell Laptop with similar specs it can take up to 20 seconds, because of a delay in wakeup time and network connections. The only time I ever have to turn the computer off it when we have a power failure. The computer is also very fast for a 500mhz processor and 256mb ram, and runs Panther flawlessly. Again, most Windows computers with these specs would be in the trash now, but this Mac gets used all the time.

The best part is I got the computer for $30 on Craigslist because the CD Drive is broken, which doesn't matter because all I want to use it for is iTunes and internet, and I can rip music on my other computer.

Just thought I would share, I continued to be amazed by this seven year old computer's performance. I love that I don't have to worry about it becoming obselete when Apple stops "supporting" Panther (eg offering updates), like Windows 98 has become. You can not run a Windows 98/ME computer online anymore becuase of all the hacks that are not patched because Microsoft has decided to stop offering patches.

yea thats cool. i dont think i could use an older computer like that as my main computer, but i've actually been thinking about getting some kind of semi-old mac and use it as a file/music/print server, or whatever else i think of.

yea thats cool. i dont think i could use an older computer like that as my main computer, but i've actually been thinking about getting some kind of semi-old mac and use it as a file/music/print server, or whatever else i think of.

Yeah, I couldn't stand to edit a video on it or sync my iPod (USB 1), but it's great for simple internet/iTunes use. I also like Multitasking too much, I was working on a magazine the other day and had 10 publisher windows open at the same time, along with 12 Firefox tabs. It makes me really want a Dual/Quad Core.

I have a Mac IIsi that I still use (but not for modern, everyday tasks.) I don't think it even has a browser on it (nor is it on the internet.) Why? It has a highly specialized nuBus card inside, for which I wrote a lot of custom software; so it continues to perform the same chores it has since 1990, using MacOS 6.

Yeah, it seems a little sluggish in comparison to my iMac. <_<

Alas, it doesn't run perfectly. The 800k diskette drive has given up.

Edited by car1son

I have a power mac 9500 (circa 1995) with a G3 upgrade running 9.1 that I got for free. Runs great and feels every bit as fast (running older software of course) as a newer machine with newer software. Illustrator 8 (one of the best versions made IMO) and Quark 4 are stable and quite fast.

Only bad thing is the internet connection is slow even though I have cable. I think the upgrade card does weird things with the internet because my office has an old G3 (an actual one - no upgrade) which renders web pages pretty quick.

i have iBook G3 Clamshell for Photoshop,FTP uploading,irc & msn chat,webbrowsing,Commodore emulation and other native games for OS 9.2.2. like simcity 2000,Warcradt 2,Lemmings.

i've stopped using old macs :(

I do have 2 old imacs and a g4 tower... but they arn't worth putting the work into getting them working. I've been thinking about a g5 imac as a server.

we also have a 6600 around somewere and another like 7300 or something like that.

Let's play devil's advocate... I still have a Toshiba laptop, made in 1998 (bought in 1999), which still works fine, running Xubuntu. I only had to have the HD replaced, because I didn't know at the time you need to put the laptop on the table while it's on, and not actually on your lap. Spinning platters are very delicate, it seems.

My point is, that a well-manufactured computer will last a long time. It is only that the downward spiral of the ever cheaper PC has forced manufacturers to use low-budget components, that don't last very long, at least, not as long as they used to. Chances are that if you have a leading brand computer, made before the year 2000, it will still work just fine, while the PC you bought in the supermarket for only USD $499 (or less) will have to be replaced within two or three years, because something inside went kaputt.

Most people see (and treat) their computer as an appliance, and don't expect it to be durable. If they upgrade to a new OS, they will need a new PC anyway.

I still use my iMac G3 as my webserver now. It has a 350mhz cpu and 768 megs of Ram and hosts my site perfectly. I wish I could get my hands on an old tower to user as my file server, but as it stands now I use and old Compaq one with some NewEgg parts running Ubuntu Server 7.10 and everything works great on the Unix end. The only issues on my network are 2 pesky windows machines my roommates have, as I use NFS instead of Samba:) Glad to hear people still find great uses for their old macs as they are very well built machines:)

Cheers