alanchiras

I have NEVER clean installed before

Which files do I need to hunt down before I wipe the HD and reinstall? Is there a complete guide somewhere as to how to do this?

Thanks! Alan Chiras.

Easiest suggestion is to just clone your hard drive to an external hard drive, and then after the install then run the User Migration wizard and have it copy all your documents, music, pictures, movies, settings etc over.

Which files do I need to hunt down before I wipe the HD and reinstall? Is there a complete guide somewhere as to how to do this?

Thanks! Alan Chiras.

I just save my own personal data (like pictures, songs, documents, etc). I have never saved anything else when re-installing an OS (like settings, preferences, or applications). I figure this is a good time to clean out the clutter that I may have added to my computer and am not actually using.

Edited by desertrose0601

What about problem files like iTunes purchases and bookmarks for web sites? Where do I Copy the address book and ICal so my iPhone can still be up to date. Thanks! Alan Chiras.

If you're running Tiger, go grab a copy of SuperDuper! or if it's Leopard on your mac, go get Carbon Copy Cloner. Use either one to make a bootable copy of your hard drive (and make sure it works), then you can do a clean install and then copy over your user folders with Migration Assistant (don't copy over your library or applications however, it's best to reinstall them from the original dmg's / installers) safe in the knowledge that all your data will survive.

Edited by Graham

i do have an interesting point here. it involves clean installing leopard after already installing it and having a time machine backup. i wanted to clean install leopard because i figured it'd perform better than my "upgraded-from-tiger" leopard. it did perform better speedwise. i also didnt want to use migration assistant or any automated restore because i figured that'd bring the clutter back; you cant pick and choose applications you want to bring back, just all of them. so i exported a few things like my ical and address book files and safari bookmarks before the installation. then when finally reinstalled iphoto 08 i realized that the built in time machine photo library restore only works if you're using the photo library you want to restore from. and since installing iphoto meant creating a new blank library, i couldnt browse to my other one and restore it within iphoto. i did try copying the old library back manually and option-starting iphoto, but when i selected the library, it said something about broken permissions and iphoto tried to repair the permissions of the library.. anyway, i had some other minor problems trying to use time machine to manually bring things back, so i just went ahead and restored the entire system from one of my backups and now i'm where is started.

What about problem files like iTunes purchases and bookmarks for web sites? Where do I Copy the address book and ICal so my iPhone can still be up to date. Thanks! Alan Chiras.

iTunes backups are really simple. You can either go under the "File" menu and click on "Back up to disc", or you can burn playlists individually to disc if you'd rather do it that way.

Backing up bookmarks are really simple too. Go under the "File" menu and click on "Export bookmarks". Then save that exported file to a disc.

The same goes for Address Book and iCal. Once again, just go to the "File" menu, and there's a "Back up database" option in iCal and a "Back up Address Book" option in Address Book. Very simple.

And unless you have insane amounts of data on your machine, all of your documents, bookmarks, address book, and iCal stuff can probably fit onto one disc. Your iTunes library will probably take 5-15 discs (if you're using cd's) and an iPhoto library 1-5 discs, just b/c those things take up a lot more space than written data. But it's all a relatively painless process really. No "problem files".

You don't need to do that. Your iCal, Address Book, iPhoto and iTunes etc (basically, everything) are stored in ~/Library so if you use migration assistant to copy over your user folders you can install the applications manually. In fact, this is what I did on my mum's mac mini when I upgraded from Tiger to Leopard this morning.

The key to a success upgrade is the preparation steps. Please visit my blog to read about my upgrade process in which I went into details on which files to save using iBackup. Also, check out my checklist in which I listed which applications are Leopard compatible. The list is by no mean complete, but it should get you started:

http://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key=ppK...TgJew&hl=en

You don't need to do that. Your iCal, Address Book, iPhoto and iTunes etc (basically, everything) are stored in ~/Library so if you use migration assistant to copy over your user folders you can install the applications manually. In fact, this is what I did on my mum's mac mini when I upgraded from Tiger to Leopard this morning.

Interesting - I've never used Migration Assistant (I'm fairly new to the Mac). How do you start it? Is it just one of the options w/in the Erase & Install screen? Or is it a separate process?

It is one of the options in the installer, but I run it after everything is set up. I have an admin account that serves no purpose other than being the only account with admin privileges (I run as a standard user day to day), so I set up that as the default, install all my applications, run software update, then MA (in /Applications/Utilities) to copy over my user account. This leaves out all the cruft that accumulates in /Library which is what seems to slow down your system (I have no quantitative proof of this, my macs just seem to run a whole lot faster when I use this method).