Sign in to follow this  
Oliver Barker

iPod Touch Applications

Hey, i was just wondering, is there a way to acturally, download, applications like games etc. for the iPod Touch / iPhone?

Yes, but you need to hack (Jailbreak) the iPhone/iPod Touch. Apple will release an official SDK to developers in February, so after that it is assumed Apple will update the iPod and iPhone software to allow for 3rd party apps. It is not clear at this point if 3rd party app support will require new hardware. I hope not.

Jailbreaking is easy and if you're careful it's completely reversible. It's unlocking your phone that carries the danger. With jailbreaking you're just modifying the software, so you can always just restore your iPod Touch / iPhone.

of, say i did jailbreak my ipod touch, could i still get applications when the sdk comes out??? and if it goes wrong can i simply restore my ipod and put all my music, video's etc. back on it?

Edited by Oliver Barker

No one knows outside of apple about what happens when the sdk comes out. But in the unlikely event that things go wrong (and it is incredibly easy to jailbreak) you can just do a restore and everything will be back as you left it.

Ok, well i've taken your advice and jailbreaked my iPod! The amount of applications I can still is amazing! LoL, though if I have to many icons on the main screen (more than the space allows for) does it have like, a page two?

Edit: Done, If anybodies interested in installing iPhone apps then i've prepared a little tutorial in the tips and tricks forum

Edited by Oliver Barker

It won't automatically, you'll need to install Summerboard.

yeah I jailbreaked my iPod too. It was incredibly easy and my iPod still works perfectly.

I've changed all the icons, background, and installed a ton of apps.

My iPod looks like its on crack. I do everything on it now. I barely use the computer anymore.