Sign in to follow this  
joshr

Getting What you Want from Applecare

Just a word of advice about dealing with applecare. I went to the Apple store and after not being able to get an appointment for weeks I asked of the non-geniuses how far ahead you can book, 48 hours, he responded by telling me the answer but also asking what was up. I explained that my adapter was separating where the cable attaches to the brick. He looked at it thought it should be covered and went to see what he could do. The genius said it was wear and tear, it's not, and wouldn't replace it. This is where the trick is. Always start at the apple store then if you are turned down thank them politely go home and call apple care. I called apple care, never told them I was already turned down at the store, told them that the power brick was separating where it was glued together and they arranged to ship me a new one. Remember you are in a somewhat adversarial position but they have the upper hand. Be as nice as possible, don't volunteer information, and always think about how you phrase things. They are there to help you, that's why you paid for applecare, but they also want to save money where possible.

Edited by joshr

I 'forgot' to get applecare when I bought my MacBook over a year ago, then my battery died. I thought I'd phone applecare to see what my options were, and if they wouldn't help then I was prepared to order a new one.

I told them ALL of this, and after getting me to read back the stats on the power usage - the response was:

Well it's only just over a year old, it shouldn't be dead yet. (Pause while - I could here him conferring with a colleague.) Don't worry, we'll send you a new one.

I go a new battery less than 24hrs later!

I've since bought an iMac and iPod, needless to say I made sure I got applecare to go with them. Well worth the money.

Well, I guess it all depends what rep you get. Some reps are more willing to co-operate than others. Nevertheless, always remain polite and never go to a store or call over the phone to complain, but rather to ask them to help you solve this problem you have. Show them respect, and they respect you back. Don't throw the book on them, and they don't throw the book back at you.

Here in Europe --I guess this applies in the US too-- customers have rights when it comes to what they can generally expect from a device. A power brick that fails within a year is not what one would expect, and the company that sold you the failed device should repair or replace it. However, you don't want to go to court over a power brick. Better to solve matters in friendly mutual agreement and respect.

If all things fail, ask the representative to escalate you to higher management. If they don't want to do that, hang up the phone or leave the store and try again another time. Sometimes you have to be patient to get the service you deserve as a valued customer.

I got my powerbrick and I thought it was the wrong item. It's the size of the macbook brick. So I took it to the apple store and tried to get the right one. It turns out that they changed parts and the powerbrick is smaller now. That's awesome.