theOlster

Can't Empty Trash

After a couple of Google searches, it's clear that I'm not the only person with similar problems to this: I can't empty my trash, although there's only one file in there.

The filename is really strange and seems to be made up of mostly 'null' characters, and seems to be an alias, here's a screenshot:

trash.png

I've tried:

- emptying the trash, with no effect at all.

- secure emptying the trash, which says that there are 6 items to empty, but hangs forever until finder is restarted.

- using terminal to rm -r ~/.Trash/* , no effect.

- moving the item out of trash to my desktop. Although the trash appears to empty (no paper in the wastebasket), nothing appears on my desktop and reopening trash shows the file again.

- installing the latest build of Onyx for Leopard, and running several scripts including repair permissions, empty trash and secure empty trash. Although this reports no errors, the item still remains in Trash.

- backing up my home folder to an external hdd. Re-installing Leopard (I had to anyway because I screwed some HP scanner drivers and a couple of other things, which are all now sorted) and only copying back the items to my new home directory that I actually wanted to keep. (so it must be one of those right?!)

I'd really, really appreciate some help on this. Although, I've been putting up with it for ages now it doesn't really affect the system other than the paper never disappears from the wastebasket. But I'd like to fix it!

Cheers,

Ollie

Have you tried to Show Original to see what the Alias references?

Have you tried to Show Original to see what the Alias references?

Unfortunately, to do this I need to move it out of trash, which I haven't done successfully yet, any ideas?

Shouldn't need to do that.

Open the Trash in the Finder and Control-Click on the icon.

There should be an Option for Show Original.

(Unless they removed this capability in Leopard - I'm still on Tiger)

Shouldn't need to do that.

Open the Trash in the Finder and Control-Click on the icon.

There should be an Option for Show Original.

(Unless they removed this capability in Leopard - I'm still on Tiger)

No I don't get that at all. I created an alias for another file, moved it to trash, and the option to show original came up. So this problem is only symptomatic of this rogue file.

Any further ideas would be gratefully received!

Edited by theOlster

No I don't get that at all. I created an alias for another file, moved it to trash, and the option to show original came up. So this problem is only symptomatic of this rogue file.

Any further ideas would be gratefully received!

A couple of ideas:

• Try holding down the option key when emptying trash. That allows files currently in use to be emptied as well
  • If that doesn't work, try "rm -rf ~/.Trash/*". The extra "f" option can force some things to be removed that aren't normally removed.

A couple of ideas:
  • Try holding down the option key when emptying trash. That allows files currently in use to be emptied as well
  • If that doesn't work, try "rm -rf ~/.Trash/*". The extra "f" option can force some things to be removed that aren't normally removed.

Hi, thanks for your response. Both these efforts didn't seem to have any effect.

I've also tried searching for ".Trash" in spotlight. The only returns were some old .tar.gz files that I didn't need anymore so I just deleted them, with no effect!

Arrrrrr!!!! This is drivin' me nuts!

What about an archive and install? Sounds a bit extreme but it's really not a big deal and I would imagine it will fix the problem.

Edited by joshr