Ignoracious

Long computer sessions and dropping body temperatures

I sometimes spend hours behind my computer and slowly feel a headache coming up. On several occasions I measured my body temperature, because I was just shivering. Every time my body temperature had dropped below 36 degrees C (96.8 F), and I had to pull some extra cloths and walk a bit around on to warm up. My normal body temperature is around 37 C (98.6 F).

I really couldn't find anything through Google (or I've used the wrong search terms), but do you think there is a relationship between long computer sessions (3-4 hours) and a dropping body temperature?

When I observe other people behind their computers, I see them being almost motionless, only moving their fingers a little, to activate the keys on the keyboard, and move their right arms to do the occasional mouse click. Unfortunately, when I'm behind my Mac, I can't observe myself, because I'm fully concentrating on the computer task at hand.

For now, I have only my personal observations. Do you have similar experiences with low body temperatures, cold limbs, or sudden headaches? I'm just curious.

It's just you man. Still you should be getting up and moving around about once an hour anyway.

It's just you man. Still you should be getting up and moving around about once an hour anyway.

I know, but if the topic is interesting, I lose track of time. Sometimes I get into a trance for 7 or 8 hours, just to solve a puzzle, while it seems only 1 hour.

I have a similar problem, I get very cold hands during long computer sessions. I asked my doctor about it. She told me that it was because the lack of movement restricts blood flow. The only thing you can do about is to get up and move about.

Cheers, Tony

I have a similar problem, I get very cold hands during long computer sessions. I asked my doctor about it. She told me that it was because the lack of movement restricts blood flow. The only thing you can do about is to get up and move about.

Cheers, Tony

Yeah I agree. I think it probably has to do with circulation. I've noticed sometimes when sitting in one position for several hours, I can get neck cramps or headaches or cold hands. I'm sure this is your body's way of saying, "Hey! I need to move around a bit and get my blood flowing again!" Maybe set an iCal reminder to stand up and get a snack every couple hours! Lol... :)