Sign in to follow this  
Kosmos

Importing video from a VCR

What would be the best way to import video from a VCR into iMovie? I currently own an EyeTV http://www.elgato.com/elgato/na/mainmenu/products/hybrid/product1.en.html but have been unsuccessful in getting video into iMovie. I have seen a new Eye TV pop up in my local Apple Store called the 250 Plus which says it will work for VCR http://www.elgato.com/elgato/na/mainmenu/products/250plus/product1.en.html

What product do you use for video importing from a VCR? If you use a camcorder would you mind sharing what it is? I would greatly appreciate it.

I have used EyeTV 250 (not the plus version) and Toast 7 to convert a VHS tape to DVD. I did not use iMovie for this process. You can also use Canopus ADVC 110, iMovie, and iDVD together to accomplish the task. In my blog, I discussed this issue of EyeTV 250 vs. ADVC 110, so you might want to give it a visit.

You might also want to read this thread in which there are a couple of other solutions including using your digital camcorder and the Sony DVD recorder.

I have A JVC DV cam with a video pass-through option. Just hook the VCR to the JVC RCA video in and then attach the DV camera to the Mac via Firewire. Then set it in pass through mode and iMovie will see it as in input device. At that point I press play on the VCR and capture into iMovie. Most camcorders sold these days have a pass-through mode