tmack

Printer prints blank pages!

I have had tons of problems with printing since the 009 update. I finally got the computer to see the printer and send the command to it, but all that comes out is blank pages. Any thoughts?

Thanks Maccasters

What printer?

What OS?

What have you done to get it to see the printer?

Are you sure the document you're printing is a valid file format?

Sorry, no information makes it hard to speculate on a solution.

You're right, i'm sorry. Canon MP160, reinstalled latest .dmg version of CUPS. Installed "usbtb" driver, installed "Guten-print". Disabled and reenabled CUPS via terminal, Reset Printing System, repair permissions, Basically everything that Macfixit said to do short of a an Archive and install. I got it to act like it is going to print, but then all I get is blank pages. I tried printing from Textedit, Mail, Firefox, Acrobat, all blank. It sends the right amount of pages through, but all blank.

Also I am running 10.4.11 on a Dual 533 G4. All this happened after I installed the 009 Security Update. Then it wouldn't even recognize the printers, and would not allow me to add them.

No problem. When it's your problem and you've been doing everything you can think of, it's easy to forget to tell somebody else what's been going on.

How long has it been since you were able to print anything from the printer? Could be something as simple as clogged printer jets.

The last time I was able to "print" from it was when I briefly got it to print after installing the usbtb, and gutenprint the first time after the update killed my printing. I have been able to use the copier portion since, so I think the jets are good. The "ribbon" is not even acting like it is printing, it advances the paper and sends it right through.

Have you deleted it from the printer list and 'reinstalled' it?

I have deleted it from the printer list, then reset the print system, then re-added it. It still just gives me blanks. I tried adding the same printer and choosing a different driver from the list. Tried it with the default Generic Postscript driver, and with others such as Guten and gimp. The command is being received by the printer, so I know that pathway is good. It must be something with driver then right?

I did notice that there is no little check-box next to the printer name in the list. If I remember correctly, there is usually a little green square with a check-box next to it. Does that matter?

Another thing, when I do send the print command, I then go look at the completed jobs, and it says that it printed it at the right time, and the right document, but again, blank.

It really sounds like the print head is clogged or goofed up.

Have you run the head alignment and color tests?

Maybe it's your printer cable. If you have a spare, try another cable.

Printers have always been a problem for me so I'm afraid I'm running out of ideas.

Well, thanks for all the time and help. I will continue to try everything.

Quick update. I just tried it again with a different driver and it worked! I don't know exactly why, but I am not questioning it right now.

Thanks again for your help!