Sign in to follow this  
sublimaze1

Mac Pro - 8 Core with 10K raptor drive

I am going to get a Mac Pro 8-Core 3.0, and swap the 500GB drive to the second bay, placing a 10K rpm raptor S-ATA in the primary drive slot.

I plan to use super-duper (or similar) to get the image off the factory 500GB before I do the swap.

(This, all in the name of speed!)

Anyway, when I put the 500GB in bay #2, do I need to change any pin settings (etc.) to make it run correctly (e.g. the computer not seeing it as a primary drive)?

Thanks

WJ

P.S. Also, if anyone sees any flawed thinking with this plan, please let me know. I plan to do this in Feb (after macworld) and plans are quite changeable at this time.

I am going to get a Mac Pro 8-Core 3.0, and swap the 500GB drive to the second bay, placing a 10K rpm raptor S-ATA in the primary drive slot.

I plan to use super-duper (or similar) to get the image off the factory 500GB before I do the swap.

(This, all in the name of speed!)

Anyway, when I put the 500GB in bay #2, do I need to change any pin settings (etc.) to make it run correctly (e.g. the computer not seeing it as a primary drive)?

Thanks

WJ

P.S. Also, if anyone sees any flawed thinking with this plan, please let me know. I plan to do this in Feb (after macworld) and plans are quite changeable at this time.

I don't think superduper is compatible with leopard so you will need carbon copy cloner. No need to clone the drive though. I can't imagine you are using an 8core macpro with a raptor drive for a simple home computer so you probably don't need a lot of stuff that will come with the standard install. I would just do a clean install on the new drive right away. Then you can customize the install.