Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

podgirl

touchscreen tablet speculation

If the much rumoured touchscreen tablet is revealed, how much do you think it would cost? Would it be under $1000?

Personally, I don't think they're doing it (but, I've been so wrong before) because Apple doesn't seem to go into markets they can't sell a bunch.

That said, if they Do have one. I can't see them being less than $1500. The hinges, touch screen, etc would be hard for Apple to make pretty enough for less, IMHO.

PS - I deleted you extra post, podgirl.

this really isn't a closed market though, so apple could make money. tablet pcs have always been somewhat poorly integrated devices. you want to be able to carry them around like a notepad but they're just to big and bulkey, plus the touch functionality isn't the greatest. just see what they did with the iPhone. smartphones used to just be for business. the iPhone however is for everybody. I frankly am pretty skeptical that this would ever come out, but then again I had the same theory about the iphone. let's just put it this way: if apple does announce it, it will be revolutionary :)

-patrick

Of course, I immediately think of the PADD from Star Trek:

Harrens_theorem.jpg

Personal Access Display Device

Edit: Only I always have found those devices rather clunky. I hope that Apple has better industrial designers than Star Trek TNG.

Ah ha! When I think of ST:TNG I can picture just what I would like for the house. Remember how they had computers mounted on the walls of the corridors? I would like something like that so that when we come down for breakfast in the morning we could quickly check the weather, e-mail, etc., without having a computer to take up counter space. I hope in the future we'd have something like that in every room of the house. We could bring up internet radio, iTunes and so on. I guess I just want to live in the future right now. ^_^

To quote William Gibson:

The future is here. It's just not evenly distributed yet.

I'm sure the happy few already have what you want.

That is, every filthy rich individual but Steve Jobs, because his house is almost empty, it seems. I understand he sleeps on the floor, because he couldn't find a bed of his liking.