Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

omgitsaliv55

Macbook: To buy or not to buy

Hey everyone, Patrick here. Right now I'm facing a decision as to what mac portable to go with. I own an iPod touch (my best friend ;) ), so I really have not intentions to wait for the ultra portable mac to come out. And frankly, I'm pretty skeptical that the thing even exists. So that really narrows it down to the Macbook or the Macbook Pro. I like the Macbook better the macbook pro for a lot of reasons:

1. It's very small!!! It would fit into my life perfectly
  2. It's got a capacious hard drive, big enough for me at least
  3. The ram isn't too bad either
  4. And lastly, the price is at the perfect point for me

Now just to let you know, I would be getting the 1300 dollar version and bumping it up to 160 gigabytes...maybe a ram upgrade to 2 gigs as well.

But here's my dilema. Graphics. I'm by no means a gamer, but I do some video editing, graphic design, and 3d modeling (with Blender). Now I hear apple has bumped up the graphics from the GMA 950 the the GMA X3100. Now the macbook pro on the other hand has awesome graphics. The problem is that its pretty big...too big for me. I hear they get very hot! And it's very expensive. I could save for longer, but I might not have a mac until summer. I don't want to wait that long!

I am a switcher (sort of). My first computer ever was a mac, then I got locked into the windows world and have wanted to convert ever since, and now I finally can. I need a computer that I can depend a lot!

So to wrap up my post, I would like your opinion on the macbook's graphic capabilities. Does anyone think they might boost the graphics at mac world? Thanks!

-Patrick

i don't do a lot of graphic design or video stuff on a serious level. i dabble. and for my basic needs, my macbook runs photoshop/imovie/etc just fine (i'm also not really a gamer). and with the x3100 it would be even better than what i'm used to (gma950). my suggestion is usually to buy the computer now if you need it, but being this close to macworld, you might as well just wait a couple days and see if anything comes out you'd like better. i suggest to get the macbook (or whatever might come out in a couple days), and bump up the ram and hard drive. you won't be disappointed. the macbook pro will just be a little better.

i don't do a lot of graphic design or video stuff on a serious level. i dabble. and for my basic needs, my macbook runs photoshop/imovie/etc just fine (i'm also not really a gamer). and with the x3100 it would be even better than what i'm used to (gma950). my suggestion is usually to buy the computer now if you need it, but being this close to macworld, you might as well just wait a couple days and see if anything comes out you'd like better. i suggest to get the macbook (or whatever might come out in a couple days), and bump up the ram and hard drive. you won't be disappointed. the macbook pro will just be a little better.

My thoughts exactly. The MacBook should be plenty powerful for what you need it for. And wait a few more days (at least until after the Keynote) just in case they happen to announce something better. That would completely suck to buy something only to have it be "old" a few days after purchase!! :P

I have absolutely no insight here, but I would NEVER buy anything the week before MacWorld.

Regardless of what you think you want, there is a possibility there might be something better next Tuesday or soon after.

I have absolutely no insight here, but I would NEVER buy anything the week before MacWorld.

Regardless of what you think you want, there is a possibility there might be something better next Tuesday or soon after.

lol - very nicely put

Thanks everyone. I think the macbook is a go then (but not before tuesday, i'm not that stupid ;) ). I hate to ask another question because I know I should've thought of this in my first post, but this really being kind of my first real mac (i didn't get to use the iMac G3 much, that was a family computer) what are your opinions on AppleCare? I've heard it's good for laptops because of screen issues, but here are the things that make me want to just skip it.

1. I'm always very careful with my laptops. I would be buying a bag for the macbook, and it would never get jostled around a lot. This laptop is for more casual use.

2. It's expensive, and getting it would really take a blow to my budget (there might be no ram upgrade).

3. I've had a windows laptop for over 3 years now and the only thing that's shot is the battery. The cpu, disk drives, and screen work perfectly. If a laptop like the one I have (trust me, my family has sent it through hell) right now still works after three years, I don't see why a mac couldn't. They're high quality computers.

4. It doesn't cover accidental damage, which really would be the only damage that could happen to it.

With those in mind, do you think apple care would be for me? Thanks again!

-Patrick

well i prefer to get it, especially with laptops. i also thought only accidental damage would happen, but mine stays on my desk most the time, and as much as i love apple, i hate to say i've had to take advantage of my applecare three times. also keep in mind that you can buy the extended applecare anytime before the end of the first year of complimentary coverage. so you have a while to think about it and save up.

I've always bought applecare for my macs and it's always paid for itself. My last MBP went in twice for repair in it's first year, I dread to think how many times it would need to go in over the three years I was planning on keeping it.

And after those three years you'd probably also need to replace the HD --if you then can still buy 2.5 inch SATAs, of course.

Laptops are typically throw-away devices, after 3-5 years you should replace them.

My wife printed me out a coupon for a new MBPro for Christmas (she didn't want to order it for me) and I told her with MacWorld so close I'd wait too just in case something new is announced I would like.

Holding out now is a great idea!

roog

ok. so all we got is the MacBook air... no updates to any of the other computers. now I'm still contemplating waiting... maybe for like an update in another month(ive seen apple do February announcements). does this sound logical, or should I just buy now and shrug my shoulders? sorry to carry this on for so long, this is just a really big purchase for me. thanks!

-patrick

mod notice: if any moderator would like to move this topic to hardware since it has gotten off the macworld topic, please do so. thanks again

well if this helps you decide, i'll share my experience. i bought one of the first macbooks. i was very happy with it. then a couple months later they announce the 64 bit core2duo macbooks. then they announced the bumped graphics. but guess what? i still use my macbook for the same things and i still love it. if you're always waiting "just a few more months" you'll never stop waiting.

well if this helps you decide, i'll share my experience. i bought one of the first macbooks. i was very happy with it. then a couple months later they announce the 64 bit core2duo macbooks. then they announced the bumped graphics. but guess what? i still use my macbook for the same things and i still love it. if you're always waiting "just a few more months" you'll never stop waiting.

ok. ive made my decision. MacBook is a go. I'll head to the apple store this weekend and pick it up. thanks everybody!

-patrick

Congrats.

You'll love it.

So, up here to the Cities or down to Madison?

I usually hit the Rosedale store, but the buzz at the Mall of America store is kinda fun.

Also, if there's a question of bumping RAM or getting AppleCare, I'd get RAM now and AppleCare later.

Congrats.

You'll love it.

So, up here to the Cities or down to Madison?

I usually hit the Rosedale store, but the buzz at the Mall of America store is kinda fun.

Also, if there's a question of bumping RAM or getting AppleCare, I'd get RAM now and AppleCare later.

I like the rosedale store, so that's where i'll be going (as long as they're stocked). I haven't been to the madison store yet, but I hear it's pretty cool.

I was thinking along the same lines as you were for ram vs applecare. Then I realized how good I am at procrastinating. I think I'll get applecare on the spot at rosedale just so I don't forget, and upgrade to 4 gb of ram through OWC later. They have a great deal on macbook ram: 4 gigs for $95 (way better than the 850 green ones apple thinks they'll get away with taking out of your wallet). Thanks for all of the help!

-Patrick

I think of course BUY!!! I'm glad with my mac! It's universal machine. PC can't have two OS in one time, but mac can and it's possible to run windows trough parallels or fusion par example. I know that people love playing gaming though Bootcamp, but as I play a bit, parallels is enough for me to use windows-progs :)

hehe guys this thread is from back in january. I'm typing on it right now and have had it for about 3 months. kinda pissed though. just a month after i got it they bumped it up to the penryn. oh well, i love the thing anyway.