Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ipodman

WTF?? $20 to have maps, stocks, weather, notes mail on iPod touch!

check the feeds. macrumors says $20!

update: thanfuly its only $20 if u upgrade, al new ones hvae it preinstled. I wonder how they will do that? iTunes 7.6 i bet.

Does sound a bit steep, though, Mail adds a lot of functionality to the device and will cut intoo iPhone sales.

but seriously how can it cut into iPhone sales if these people have already bought the touch, and most people won't buy a new iPhone instead of $20.

all new iPod touches have it preinstalled.

True, I forgot about the new one preinstalled thing.

Maybe it has to do with that accounting problem they had where they haven't recognized the revenue from the functionality. Don't know.

well, at least you guys from the States could pay for the update. I just don't know how the hell am I going to get the update for my Touch since Hong Kong doesn't have the iTunes Store, nor an Apple Store! Good one, Apple! I am not only screwed by being an early adopter but also by living in Hong Kong!

I agree the 20$ is really stupid, I mean why does apple do this? It makes them look like a very greedy corporation and I can't believe this is gonna cause much revenue maybe they will get something but I fear they will loose much more in customer loyalty etc.

I agree the 20$ is really stupid, I mean why does apple do this? It makes them look like a very greedy corporation and I can't believe this is gonna cause much revenue maybe they will get something but I fear they will loose much more in customer loyalty etc.

Yeah, especially since they also updated the iPhone, the Apple TV, and iTunes softwares all for free. It seems so trivial to charge for the iTouch software when all the other software updates are free. Very strange...

this just encourages people to jailbreak them. i would encourage people to jailbreak them. all you have to do is download the old firmware file from apple.com and resotre it with itunes and go to www.jailbreakme.com and you have all that funcunality + tons more. boycott apple on the $20 for the upgrade.

Yeah, especially since they also updated the iPhone, the Apple TV, and iTunes softwares all for free. It seems so trivial to charge for the iTouch software when all the other software updates are free. Very strange...

Exactly my sentiments! First, we buy a device that's moderately overpriced to begin with, then we're asked to pay for "upgraded" functionality that should have been there in the first place. To add insult to injury, Apple is essentially giving the functionality away free in new Touches to those who weren't early adopters. They did right by early iPhone customers, plus they are upgrading all iPhones free of charge, not to mention the iTV free upgrades..... SO WHY ARE WE THE ONLY ONES GETTING SCREWED??? The blunders just keep coming.....

You are getting "screwed" because the functionality doesn't bring in any money for apple otherwise. Remember what happened with the 802.11n update? It's because they've had problems with their accounting in the past and they're covering their backs. The iPhone has customers paying a monthly fee and the AppleTV lets them hook into the iTunes store now. Where is the income from the iPod Touch update.

Besides, the iPod touch was never advertised as being a product that would get significant software updates, whereas the iPhone was. The end users just assumed, and we all know what assuming does for people. You knew what you were getting when you bought it, if it doesn't do what you need, buy a different mp3 player.

I still wonder if some borderline skitzuphrenic early iPod touch adopted is going to get together with their friends down in San diego and file a class action lawsuit so they can unmortage their house a bit sooner. I agree, we got burned. But too late for me, I already bought the update and love it:)

let's just put it this way: apple has done worse, and so has microsoft. I love my touch, and if twenty dollars will make me love it more, then so be it.

I still wonder if some borderline skitzuphrenic early iPod touch adopted is going to get together with their friends down in San diego and file a class action lawsuit so they can unmortage their house a bit sooner.

Because San Diego is Anti-Apple capital of the world of course! :rolleyes:

Kidding of course, since I live down this way too.

Personally I don't see what the big deal is. Are those apps not worth a $20 premium? Personally I don't use the stocks app, but Google Maps and Mail are KILLER apps. And weather is... well... Nice to have.. I do use that one too.

I'd be willing to bet that if Apple hadn't included them at all and a 3rd party developer came out with a native Mail app you'd spend at least $5 for it through iTunes. Google Maps? at least $10. Weather & Stocks? Ok.. .maybe a few bucks too. I think part of problem is that we're seeing this come from Apple and have the "rich get richer" mentality when we really don't know where that $20 is going. Maybe Apple has to license the Google Maps application. Who knows.

At least they're not forcing it on anyone. You have the option to wait until 3rd party apps are available (say in 6 months at best?) and hope that a native Mail app is developed. OR jailbreak the iPod Touch and add apps from the community.

Just my .02.

Aloha everyone,

I think you're all missing the point. We have a law on the books, known as Sarbanes-Oxley, that stipulates specific accounting practices a company must follow. Apple reacted to the 802.11n "mistake" due to this law. Whenever a company sells a product, all functionality must be represented by the purchase price. If some functionality is present, but unknown to the purchaser, or limited in function at the time of purchase, the company must charge a fee at such time as that functionality is enabled, the value of which represents the value of said functionality. In the case cited above, certain Macs shipped with disabled 802.11n functionality, so Apple had to charge a nominal fee upon enabling it.

When Apple TV and the iPhone were announced, Steve Jobs specifically mentioned that their purchase prices were to be amortized over the next 48 months, meaning that any added functionality for that time period was covered in the purchase price. No such distinction was made for the iPod touch. In other words, owners of the iPod touch are "screwed" - they will have to pay for any and all software updates.

On the other hand, people are paying $5.00 to play PacMan on their iPods - is $20.00 really that much to pay for five programs, all of which are arguably much better than PacMan?

HawaiiMacAddict

check the feeds. macrumors says $20!

update: thanfuly its only $20 if u upgrade, al new ones hvae it preinstled. I wonder how they will do that? iTunes 7.6 i bet.

Was just at the apple store an hour ago looking at the ipod touch, the new software wasn't preinstalled you had to download it.

Yeah, but they're also mysteriously $20 cheaper. They've got to get through their current stock.