Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

alanchiras

O.K. That's HALF of what I want -

I just sent Adam a voice mail. I think that the MacAir should be one of the last Mac computers made. Why still have a dedicated keyboard and track pad/mouse when you can just use the screen. And no more ports. Period. Even bluetooth for headphones - who needs wires when listning to their iTunes stuff.

I want my Apple Cortland. With Cortland OS. New, from Apple.

...the iPhone was just the begining...

The screen is a good interface in some situations but it's not good for everything

While I LOVE my iPhone (even more now), a touch screen really isn't very good for word processing, spreadsheets, or anything else where a lot of typing is necessary. If it was a great interface, tablets would be mucvh more prevalent than they are. It's not new technology by a long shot.

I agree with much of that, but when I look at my iPhone I feel that it's the end of the Mac/Win machines as we know them. I bet the typeing can get better. And you could change the keybord to Dvorak or international code. Easy to find special symbols when you can turn your keys into the very special characters you want.

You could have you main 24" Cortland at home on the wall, your 12" Cortland as your laptop that converts to a full keyboard for your home screen, and your 3" Cortland (iPhone) as a numeric keypad.

You could have the keys turn into piano keys or drums, etc.

The new ads you could run would be great:

Hello, I'm a Mac

And I'm a P.C.

Hey P.C., I have some good news and some bad news for you.

OOHHH...give me the good news.

O.K. Well, Apple is stopping production of the Macintosh.

OOOHHH...WOW! My dreams are TRUE!!!

Oh, but P.C. there is the bad news.

It can't be THAT bad.

Apple is coming out with a new line of computers all based on a scalable version of the iPhone called Cortland with Cortland OS. No keyboards, no mice or trackpads, no ports - not even for iTunes. Just go to the store and pick the size or sizes that suit your needs.

Oh NO!

...and P.C. this means I'm going to be leaving you. Best of luck.

Mac? Where are you going??

(A beautiful woman appears where Mac used to be) Hello. I'm Courtney.

NNNNNNNOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

So, you've dubbed this dream OS of yours Cortland? If it's major interface does not include any input device other than touch screens, I don't think it's going to fly anytime soon.

Sorry, business machines aren't ready for the increased cost necessary for a totally touch screen environment. Our IT folks don't want to spend the relatively low prices now needed for decent PCs (let alone Macs with no keyboards) and I don't see that changing for a long time.

You are correct. This is in the future. Not close or far but in our lifetimes perhaps? I suppose that if they all talked with one another via bluetooth, you could buy a third-party external I/O device to work with it. When the developer kit comes out, maybe a program could be written to use the Mac wireless keyboard to work in the iPhones notes, or the iPhone can be used as a numeric keypad for the new keyboards that do not have them.

I can dream :)

well... if apple stopped the macintosh they would be admitting defeat... which isn't going to happen.... Also i can't see gaming and writing papers going away anytime soon so i don't think that will happen.

well... if apple stopped the macintosh they would be admitting defeat... which isn't going to happen.... Also i can't see gaming and writing papers going away anytime soon so i don't think that will happen.

Typing documents will be great. Don't like the standard keyboard on your laptop? Just load in and design the keyboard layout you want! And gaming would get a brand new look. How about a first-person car racing game where you use the computer as a steering wheel, or flying with the computer screen as a first person layout. We know the marble game is good - there will be much more.

Cheers! Alan Chiras.