Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

mactron

MacBook Air -- facts and opinions

Ok - so here we have the MacBook Air

Please add to or correct the list and give your opinions

What it's got:

a) A core 2 duo processor

B) 1 USB 2.0 port

c) uber-thin and light weight

d) 13-in widescreen

e) WiFi + bluetooth

What it's missing:

1) Firewire (?)

2) optical drive

Unknowns:

What about speakers?

What about audio input / output?

What is the resolution on the 13-in screen (surely it's not the same as the MacBook)?

Is this the Penryn proc from Intel?

Is it a glossy display?

Opinion:

So I've been looking for a ultra portable Mac for a while . . . but this seems like a crippled Mac. Sure it has the core 2 duo proc - but the longevity of a computer is related to it's I/O which this is sorely lacking. It also seems a tad pricey --

Personally, it's cool and it does fit the ultra-portable criterion - but I'm very inclined to hang onto my MacBook and see where this goes after rev. B or so.

Anyone else have an opinion?

Over £2000,00 for the flash drive option....... :o

Right - at that price, why not get a MacBook Pro?!

Another question:

What about the mini-DVI port? Does that allow spanning or is it mirror only? And if it's spanning, at what resolution?

In other words, is this going to become the new preferred Mac for presentations?

While I will stomach an integrated battery in a "throw away" device like an iPod Nano, I will not accept it in such an expensive laptop.

it has a audio output on the side for headphones. the resolution is 1280 x 960 i think and it seems to me that they had to choose between usb and firewire and usb being the obvious choise. Firewire is more a Pro choice and this is not a pro laptop..

I hate to say this because it looks cool at first, but it seems like in this case beauty is only skin deep. I think what was really necessary was a bit more compact macbook with 120gb standard, and the black one sporting a 250 gig hard drive. a ram upgrade...i would hope but not demand. but for the price, the apple notebook line is starting to lag hardware-wise compared to other windows notebooks in the same price range. don't get me wrong, they're great computers, but they're also starting to take on the model that mercedes is using to sell cars. from what other people (mainly girls) in my age group have told me (I'm in highschool), is that the fact that the macbooks are "cute" is what got them to make the purchase. apple also has to cater to people like us who want performance.

point being: the macbook air is a great product, but the price is a little extravagant in my opinion. what's really slowing it down? that 4,200 rpm drive. ouch.

-Patrick

P.S. The resolution is the same as the macbooks, which is 1280 by 800.

It's not what I was looking for. As I posted here, I wanted an entire new OS based on the iPhone without any physical ports and no keyboard or pointing device. You would simply buy your computer based on the size of the screen you wished to purchase. The OS would scale to any size screen you bought.

Thanks! Alan Chiras.

email: alanchiras@gmail.com

iPhone:305-395-9195.

I think this is the perfect product for the traveling salesman and insurance agent. I don't think it is a consumer device, but rather for light business use. It is the first (baby) step to get a foothold in the world of the somewhat bigger companies, which is now firmly in the grip of Microsoft and wholesale sellers (and buyers).

This is clealry not a 'pro' mac. No GIGABIT. Fixed 2GB RAM. No firewire. No PCI card slot. 4200rpm drive. Shared graphics memory. Only 1 USB. And although it is sooo thin its footprint is probably the same as the Macbook's.

So if its not a pro mac and if its too pricey to be a consumer mac, the what the hell is it? And who is gonna buy this thing? i.e. who is the target audience??

Remember, this is MacBook Air 1.0. It's a new product line which will only improve.

While I will stomach an integrated battery in a "throw away" device like an iPod Nano, I will not accept it in such an expensive laptop.

Are you friggin' kidding me?! Integrated battery? No friggin' way! Batteries only last a couple of years at best and they certainly don't hold a full charge after about a year. These things seem to be aimed at poeple who *really* need portability which means they will *use* the battery.

wow - :blink: I'm stunned

it has a audio output on the side for headphones. the resolution is 1280 x 960 i think and it seems to me that they had to choose between usb and firewire and usb being the obvious choise. Firewire is more a Pro choice and this is not a pro laptop..

Does it have built-in speakers?

No audio input?

Looks like the mobile musician will stick with a MacBook or MacBook Pro.

I'm really curious as to what they were thinking about when they designed this notebook. Where is the market for this product, especially at its price??

The MacBook is definitely the way to go if you want a higher longevity out of your computer. Lower price, faster processor speeds, more customizability, more ports... etc. Maybe it's a few pounds heavier, but what's one more pound?

And personally I don't really care for the design. The black keyboard looks a bit uugly imho. And all that extra space between the edge of the screen case and the actual screen, makes it look cheap. Now if they designed it like this: http://macapper.com/2008/01/14/macbook-air...most-confirmed/ I would have been blown away. Maybe my expectations were too high?

The new multi-touch pad looks nice, but shouldn't they be able to add this as a software update to the MB and MBP?

reading the specs for this thing has stunned me, why would anyone pay so much for a crippled macbook?

Overpriced fashion accessory that doesn't fit into any user demographic I can think of.

A laptop for that price should be a "main" system or am i just blowing hot air?

I like the comment about it only being the first version, its not evening shipping and stock holders are making excuses already pml.........;-)

reading the specs for this thing has stunned me, why would anyone pay so much for a crippled macbook?

Overpriced fashion accessory that doesn't fit into any user demographic I can think of.

A laptop for that price should be a "main" system or am i just blowing hot air?

I like the comment about it only being the first version, its not evening shipping and stock holders are making excuses already pml.........;-)

While it's true I am a stockholder (and, frankly, very glad to be, even if it's less than 100 shares), I'm not making excuses. I just pointing out the fact. It's a 1.0 product. When the iPod came out, detractors said it was overpriced, didn't have the features of other mp3 players, blah, blah, blah. I think Apple has shown itself to be pretty good at debuting a decent product and making it better and better. They don't do everything right (for instance, it's very difficult to actually rent a movie on iTunes yet) but they're better than most companies.

Well let me put it this way: When I come to replace my MBP in 18 months - 2 years I fully expect something in this form factor to be powerful enough for my needs (and I need quite a powerful laptop). Yes it's expensive, but have you actually seen the keynote? They've got a whole friggin mac on a circuit board the length of a pencil!

I totally agree. IMO, this MB Air *cannot* stand on it's own "feet" as a computer platform . . . I mean, you simply *cannot* pull it out of the box all by itself and use it as your primary machine. How would you install software? Nope, you need to fork out another hundred bucks for an external drive. All of a sudden your portability includes a bunch of extra doo-dads.

This MB Air seems pretty squarely focused at management types and presenters -- i.e. those who have another machine to create all their content and want something very portable to take to meetings for that "I'm cooler than you" sentiment, AND who don't really care what it costs.

That link you posted looked uber cool and I wouldn't be able to resist the "gotta have it" urge. But this deserves, at best, a "huh?"

I'm really curious as to what they were thinking about when they designed this notebook. Where is the market for this product, especially at its price??

The MacBook is definitely the way to go if you want a higher longevity out of your computer. Lower price, faster processor speeds, more customizability, more ports... etc. Maybe it's a few pounds heavier, but what's one more pound?

And personally I don't really care for the design. The black keyboard looks a bit uugly imho. And all that extra space between the edge of the screen case and the actual screen, makes it look cheap. Now if they designed it like this: http://macapper.com/2008/01/14/macbook-air...most-confirmed/ I would have been blown away. Maybe my expectations were too high?

The new multi-touch pad looks nice, but shouldn't they be able to add this as a software update to the MB and MBP?

Just like Huckermn, I'm a investor with Apple, and I have to say the Macbook Air is a remakerable product, Just like Jobs said, it more for wireless, that what the world is going to, they have there Desktop for home use, but the business, traveling person, and even everyday person use the a notebook for portablity. The World now day is fond of the wifi and bluetooth world.

Another thing even Huckermn has stated, This is version 1.0, Apple is famous for defining the products and just make them even more grand as time goes by, this product is going to get better and more grand everytime they improve on it.

I totally agree. IMO, this MB Air *cannot* stand on it's own "feet" as a computer platform . . . I mean, you simply *cannot* pull it out of the box all by itself and use it as your primary machine. How would you install software? Nope, you need to fork out another hundred bucks for an external drive. All of a sudden your portability includes a bunch of extra doo-dads.

I don't think it's a stretch to consider the fact that a rather large percentage of installations these days don't come off of CD or DVD media. Almost all of my software installations come from downloads that mount as a disk image. I don't need an optical drive for that. In fact, looking at my stack of actual media the only ones I tend to use are from Apple itself. If Apple can find a good way of supporting software updates and restoring to original settings without the media, then I think that very few people will miss the optical drive.

- Tim

Just like Huckermn, I'm a investor with Apple, and I have to say the Macbook Air is a remakerable product, Just like Jobs said, it more for wireless, that what the world is going to, they have there Desktop for home use, but the business, traveling person, and even everyday person use the a notebook for portablity. The World now day is fond of the wifi and bluetooth world.

But as an investor do you think that other investors would go for it and think that this would be a valuable key to Apple's success on Wall street? Apple's stock is taking a bit of a dip right now. It started dipping just before macworld, but it hasn't risen much at all. I don't think shareholders are going to go for this. Frankly speaking though, I'm calling up the broker right now to get it while it's cheap!

-Patrick

True . . . *most* of the software I install and try out, I download from online -- but then again, most of this software is freeware or shareware. Flagship products like Office, Adobe Creative Suite, etc. remain on physical media.

So then one could argue that this MB Air *isn't* supposed to be used for Photoshop or FinalCut or Logic etc. . . and that supports my point -- this product seems to be aimed at lectures and presenters; NOT as their main machine, but as a suplimental machine, a "tag-along" if you will, albeit an *extremely* expensive accoutrement.

I don't think it's a stretch to consider the fact that a rather large percentage of installations these days don't come off of CD or DVD media. Almost all of my software installations come from downloads that mount as a disk image. I don't need an optical drive for that. In fact, looking at my stack of actual media the only ones I tend to use are from Apple itself. If Apple can find a good way of supporting software updates and restoring to original settings without the media, then I think that very few people will miss the optical drive.

- Tim

True . . . *most* of the software I install and try out, I download from online -- but then again, most of this software is freeware or shareware. Flagship products like Office, Adobe Creative Suite, etc. remain on physical media.

So then one could argue that this MB Air *isn't* supposed to be used for Photoshop or FinalCut or Logic etc. . . and that supports my point -- this product seems to be aimed at lectures and presenters; NOT as their main machine, but as a suplimental machine, a "tag-along" if you will, albeit an *extremely* expensive accoutrement.

Unlike you, most of my tools are online downloads, and not just small shareware/freeware. OmniGraffle and OmniFocus, DiskWarrior, various Enterprise-level Java development environments, various disk utilities, etc. All via online downloads.

I would suspect that the primary reason for apps to continually use physical media is simply size of the download. If downloading takes too long, it may be simply impossible to avoid physical media. I would guess that whenever size does not prohibit online downloads, you will see more Mac-based products start providing that as an option.

- Tim

Well... The macbook air is the future, like the ipod was the future. It cannot be thought of as a standalone computer either. It is the on-the-go-mac if you will. The reason for the price makes a lot of sense if you think about it. They had to have a specally made proccesor, and a specally made board etc... Every thing on the mac was specally made. Even the usb port, Which had the power jacked up for the mba drive.

Like i said in the other topic. You have your imac at home, but you're not taking that on your flight. So you take you sleek and sexy mba, that you ripped your favorite movies to.

Alll in all, in a couple years the dvd drive will be obsolete. No one will use it. We will have 100mbs down (like the asia, but thats another rant) and everything will come through the internet.

I'm so glad that i'm young, because as of right now i believe that i will live through the most extrordiary technoligical advancements this world might ever see. When everything goes wireless. No hard media, and most likely there won't be any more hard cash. And this is just the first step to those days of wireless everything.

So you're saying that your "sleek and sexy mba" should be considered *only* as a secondary mac - an add-on, if you will - and this "add-on" costs *more* than your main computer (i.e. you iMac), but that's OK?

That is similar to saying, "You just bought this great house. But where you 'live' on the go is in your car, so here's a car that's really cool-looking, hardly as useful, and it costs more than your house."

I guess I'm not hip enough to understand that thinking. But it is obvious that *I* am not the intended target market for this . . . I mean, for the price you can almost get a pair of new low-end MacBooks OR for that price, you could get a refurb iMac and a refurb Macbook direct from Apple.

Well... The macbook air is the future, like the ipod was the future. It cannot be thought of as a standalone computer either. It is the on-the-go-mac if you will. The reason for the price makes a lot of sense if you think about it. They had to have a specally made proccesor, and a specally made board etc... Every thing on the mac was specally made. Even the usb port, Which had the power jacked up for the mba drive.

Like i said in the other topic. You have your imac at home, but you're not taking that on your flight. So you take you sleek and sexy mba, that you ripped your favorite movies to.

Alll in all, in a couple years the dvd drive will be obsolete. No one will use it. We will have 100mbs down (like the asia, but thats another rant) and everything will come through the internet.

I'm so glad that i'm young, because as of right now i believe that i will live through the most extrordiary technoligical advancements this world might ever see. When everything goes wireless. No hard media, and most likely there won't be any more hard cash. And this is just the first step to those days of wireless everything.