Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

mactron

MacBook Air -- facts and opinions

how much was the ipod when it came out? how much was the iphone when it came out? how much was the apple II when it came out?

I believe the apple II was in the ball park of 20 grand....

Its the price of being an early adopter

So you're saying that your "sleek and sexy mba" should be considered *only* as a secondary mac - an add-on, if you will - and this "add-on" costs *more* than your main computer (i.e. you iMac), but that's OK?

That is similar to saying, "You just bought this great house. But where you 'live' on the go is in your car, so here's a car that's really cool-looking, hardly as useful, and it costs more than your house."

I guess I'm not hip enough to understand that thinking. But it is obvious that *I* am not the intended target market for this . . . I mean, for the price you can almost get a pair of new low-end MacBooks OR for that price, you could get a refurb iMac and a refurb Macbook direct from Apple.

I really have a hard time with seeing the MB Air as just a second computer. The reality is that this is a pretty functional computer on its own. The only significant limitation is the lack of an optical drive, and that can be worked around fairly easily with a USB-attached SuperDrive. Very few people will need to use an optical drive all that often, so I think not having to burden the computer with the drive is a brilliant move.

- Tim

how much was the ipod when it came out? how much was the iphone when it came out? how much was the apple II when it came out?

I believe the apple II was in the ball park of 20 grand....

Its the price of being an early adopter

I agree that all the above have been groundbreaking products for the time they were released, the Air is not a groundbreaking product its a Laptop and every man and his dog has a laptop and has a good idea about what the market has to offer and more importantly how much it will cost.

I am tired of hearing how much the ipod was when it first came out, only a few folks bought it and it didn't take off until the the price was substantially reduced and they had built up the iTunes infrastructure, 2/3 years later!!

Why was the Apple II called the Apple II? they only sold 2 ;-)

While I will stomach an integrated battery in a "throw away" device like an iPod Nano, I will not accept it in such an expensive laptop.

Problem already solved. Apple will replace the batteries for you: http://www.apple.com/batteries/replacements.html

The battery is not user-serviceable, but there's zero surcharge for the service. It costs the same amount to buy a new MacBook battery as it does to get Apple to replace a dead MacBook Air battery with a new one.

I am not a very big fan of it myself, except for the fact that it is ultra thin. I suppose it would do best for someone who is traveling a lot and just need a lighter load. There is no optical drive, so there are some limitations toward what you can do right there unless you get the $99 external optical drive. Then the hard drive are both on the small side so you would probably have to get another HD for it. At least they got a nice little Intel Core 2 Duo processor. If i were to buy a Mac at those prices, I would probably just go and get a MacBook Pro.

I don't think the lack of an optical drive is a huge problem. I very rarely use mine, it has had the same disk in it for a month! Same goes for the removable battery, I have never bought a spare battery for a laptop and probably never will now you can't take them on planes due to the risk of 'terra'.

The thing that really gets my goat is that even at £2000, you have to pay for so many 'extras'. You have to stump up some extra money (and you won't have much of it!) for the Apple Remote, the Ethernet dongle and the superdrive. Shouldn't they be included in the already sky high price?

For the same money you can buy a top of the range MBP and you get those things included.

I feel as if the MBA is a rip off. I don't know many people who would be able to afford such an expensive machine, especially as a second machine, which is where it would excel.

Nope the MBA not for me, unless I suddenly find oodles and oodles of cash from somewhere!?

It surprises me that the MBA doesn't *at least* have a PCMCIA express slot. Honestly . . . if you are going to cripple the laptop by removing all the ports, wouldn't it make a helluva lot more sense to then have a card slot where users can buy the I/O they want or need?

Leave it to 3rd party vendors to produce a firewire card, a 3G or other wireless cell card, a flash memory reader, or even small insertable storage disks.

I feel like a "benedict arnold" saying this (since I am a Mac-head), but one thing those PC laptop makers get *right* IMO, is a lot of different I/O.

I don't think the lack of an optical drive is a huge problem. I very rarely use mine, it has had the same disk in it for a month! Same goes for the removable battery, I have never bought a spare battery for a laptop and probably never will now you can't take them on planes due to the risk of 'terra'.

The thing that really gets my goat is that even at £2000, you have to pay for so many 'extras'. You have to stump up some extra money (and you won't have much of it!) for the Apple Remote, the Ethernet dongle and the superdrive. Shouldn't they be included in the already sky high price?

For the same money you can buy a top of the range MBP and you get those things included.

I feel as if the MBA is a rip off. I don't know many people who would be able to afford such an expensive machine, especially as a second machine, which is where it would excel.

Nope the MBA not for me, unless I suddenly find oodles and oodles of cash from somewhere!?

For me 'portable' is a bit more about footprint than weight, I mean I know compared to the MBA my MacBook is a fatty, but, meh. Horses for courses I suppose

Ya . . . the funny thing is that the MBA actually has the *same* footprint than the macbook (ref = Apple Store Comparison chart )

MBA width = 32.5-cm by depth = 22.7-cm

Macbook width = 32.5-cm by depth = 22.7-cm

"thinness" is a perception . . . the thickest part of the MBA isn't much less than the MacBook . . . the difference is that the edges, where your hands are most likely to feel it or grip it, it is much thinner than a MacBook

For me 'portable' is a bit more about footprint than weight, I mean I know compared to the MBA my MacBook is a fatty, but, meh. Horses for courses I suppose